ice fly swap

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

i will hold an isa ice fly swap. how this works is iam looking for about 8-10tyers. all will tie up the same fly for everyone. they will be mailed to me along with a self addressed stamped envelope. when they all get here i will sort one for everyone, mine will take the place of yours. any extras of another variation will be sent to our ice tournament angler. they are designed for bluegills . since theses flies are easy to tie i will make the due date dec 13. so post up with what fly and size you will tie.

1 rich mc size 12 gold bead chenille

Rich and others, help me out here since I haven't a clue what constitutes a good ice fishing fly. Should it be significantly weighted so it gets down quickly? Should it have ample room on the bend and point of the hook to secure a real larva? Should it be brighter than what may be considered normal under non-ice conditions? In other words, are these flies more for attraction and to hold a real bait or do they imitate something that the fish would actually feed on? And at the risk of showing my ignorance, do you drop these in a hole and jig them up and down or do they just sit there while one is having a beer and a brat while watching Da Bears beat up on the Pack inside a heated shanty?

Rich and others, help me out here since I haven't a clue what constitutes a good ice fishing fly. Should it be significantly weighted so it gets down quickly? Should it have ample room on the bend and point of the hook to secure a real larva? Should it be brighter than what may be considered normal under non-ice conditions? In other words, are these flies more for attraction and to hold a real bait or do they imitate something that the fish would actually feed on? And at the risk of showing my ignorance, do you drop these in a hole and jig them up and down or do they just sit there while one is having a beer and a brat while watching Da Bears beat up on the Pack inside a heated shanty?

I wanted to ask the same questions but you beat me to it.. I would gladly try my hand at tying something up that might lure a wintering bluegill into biting.

Guest rich mc

most ice flies are small bead heads . some are part body with room for a bait addition. some are soft hackleto give amovement even when tryingto hold it still. some are heavier towrd mid winter when gills are deep . most ice flies will be jigged and held, repeat. colors can change as well.one year pink is hot, i heard purple was the best last year. some ice flies are just 1/64th jig heads . simple, colorfull, light and heavy all work at times . my first ice fly was a gold bead on a 12 scud hook i used fine ice chenille in green witha thread wrap of black for a collar. it caught tons one day and the next day they wanted a silver bead . those in the posted photos will all work. doing a swap will give him and you a collection of various weights and colors. out west i heard copper johns work good . i personall dont tie anything under size 12, and even those can mean get the hemostats out every time no Poppers or dry flies!!! rich

Guest rich mc

that would work. it would also work with just a peacock herl wrapped behind the bead.i was told by a veteran ice angler that gill baits need to have some body mass to them so when they suck the bait it will easily get vacummed in.sort of like when a vacuum tube sucks in a whole tissue compared to say a penny. early ice fishing at shabbona has the gills in less than 5ft. who wants to join the swap ? rich

that would work. it would also work with just a peacock herl wrapped behind the bead.i was told by a veteran ice angler that gill baits need to have some body mass to them so when they suck the bait it will easily get vacummed in.sort of like when a vacuum tube sucks in a whole tissue compared to say a penny. early ice fishing at shabbona has the gills in less than 5ft. who wants to join the swap ? rich

Rich,

I want in.. I think. I am fairly new to tying but I think I can pull it off.

I am slightly confused tough, Are we (Participants) going to all tie the same exact fly? If that is the case then I would need to make sure that it is a fly I could tie...

Please let me know,

Paul.

Paul, no, in a fly swap, everyone ties a different unique fly but one that is related to a pre-defined specific use or type such as in this case, one that would be well suited for ice fishing. If you have 8 participants then you end up tying 7 flies of the exact same fly pattern, send them in to the host (Rich), he then divides all the flies up so each participant gets one fly from all the other tiers and then sends everyone back a set of the 7 different flies. This way you get to see other individual's interpretations and will be exposed to new materials and techniques. Oh and when you send in your flies, you also send with them, a self-addressed stamped envelope to make it easier and no expense for the host.

They can be fun, but in one that I participated over on Flytyingforum.com, the host took off with all the flies and never sent any back. :o I think you can trust Rich, but he does have shifty eyes. :blink:

Guest rich mc

it a nice way to learn about tying. if there are 8 tyers and the swapmiester , you tie 8 flies. . you dont get yours back but one tied by the host. a toe tag is added to each fly by the tier it a small sliver of paper with your email addy. then if a participant likes your fly and wants more info hecan contact you. i have hosted 4swaps and participated in 4 more. all level of tyers are welcome. rich

Rich, count me in. Do you want us to send in a materials list with each fly as I've seen that also requested in the past? For my entry, I think something similar to what I posted above is what I would do, unless you think something else might be more appropriate. Though I know nothing about ice fishing flies, I would think that the soft hackle might produce since it can add so much attraction with so little movement. I could do something more Boudreaux like if desired.

Guest rich mc

looks like 4 . material list is not needed . if you put your email addy on the fly they can contact you with questions. do the fly you posted. if you have a few variations ,1 or 2 more send them and ill pass them along to our tournament angler. you never know which wone will be hot. rich

I think I have a pattern for this swap:

I think it will be named the "Frosty Bosco", after my aging chocolate lab, Bosco.

Size 12 scud with gold bead, tan/light brown marabou with a few strands of krystal flash (silver) for the tail. Body is just wrapping the hook shank with desired color (brown) and then wrapping it with clear micro stretch tube to add bulk to it. I will tie the end of the tube with white thread to add the frost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...