Suggestions for Spring Waders?

chrisserafin

I have stocking-foot breathable waders and wading shoes from LL Bean that I wear most of the year. I have boot-foot 3.5 MM neoprenes from Gander Mountain for the winter. I could not take the cold water in my breathables, even when properly layered underneath. The neoprenes were around $100 and have enabled some comfortable winter fishing. The biggest drawback to the neoprene waders for me have been the lug soles, which are slippery as heck on the brown algae-covered rocks and bottom of the Fox River. They are OK on the gravel and shell beds of the Dupe. Either way, I move much more cautiously when wading in cold water.

All waders suck. They will all wear out and eventually fail. The value in the waders is in the warranty and the customer service.

The absolute best pair of waders is a kayak! :lol:

==============================

i might make a suggestion for your lug soled boots. you can buy some mailman's chains for the bottom of you boots or you can glue outdoor carpet, color of your choice, to the lug soles with plumbers goop. better safe than pretty, eh? tjtroester

As like many of you, I can't wait to get in the middle of a river and start fishing. I'm trying to pick out some waders what will help keep me above hypothermia, and wondering if anyone has suggestions and/or things they would do differently now that they already purchased their waders.

Hopeful requirements:

-Keep you dry/warm in cold spring water

-Be basically durable. Not going to be bushwackin'

Any comments appreciated,

---Chris

I have owned three pairs of waders in my life.

Personally, I do not find neoprene warm at all, except in mild weather. Then I find them sweaty.

I owned a pair of cheap-o BPS waders. They were okay for the $. But they aren't cut all that well. However they get the job done. On a budget, something similar would be fine.

I replaced them with a pair of Simms. They are well made and cut nicely. The were fitted like a pair of pants, wher the BPS brand was not.

No leaks so far. However mine are an old pair of Lightweights. No belt attached, no gravel guards. That sucks big time. I would never buy a pair like that again.

All waders are cut to fit an imaginary avg size relative to the boot size. That sucks too. I wear a 12.5. Any wader would be cut for guy 3 times my width, which to me defeats the purpose of buying anything nice. If you are average proportioned not an issue.

I have found the Gore-Tex waders with my bike tights undernieth to be a good combo. I'm not sure how warm actual wading pants are but "housebrand" bike tights sold by places like "Performance" and "Nashbar" are relatively inexpensive and very, very warm. And unlike cotton, (which "good" should not be used in the same sentence with) they wick moisture away. They aren't bulky so you could wear fleece over them, but in a lot of cases that would really be over kill. The only disadvantage is they look goofy, if taht bothers you.

If you pop into places like Marshalls and T-J Max you can find Under Armor and ski type underwear cheap too. Also really nice knee high wool socks for skiing.

I have owned three pairs of waders in my life.

Personally, I do not find neoprene warm at all, except in mild weather. Then I find them sweaty.

I owned a pair of cheap-o BPS waders. They were okay for the $. But they aren't cut all that well. However they get the job done. On a budget, something similar would be fine.

I replaced them with a pair of Simms. They are well made and cut nicely. The were fitted like a pair of pants, wher the BPS brand was not.

No leaks so far. However mine are an old pair of Lightweights. No belt attached, no gravel guards. That sucks big time. I would never buy a pair like that again.

All waders are cut to fit an imaginary avg size relative to the boot size. That sucks too. I wear a 12.5. Any wader would be cut for guy 3 times my width, which to me defeats the purpose of buying anything nice. If you are average proportioned not an issue.

I have found the Gore-Tex waders with my bike tights undernieth to be a good combo. I'm not sure how warm actual wading pants are but "housebrand" bike tights sold by places like "Performance" and "Nashbar" are relatively inexpensive and very, very warm. And unlike cotton, (which "good" should not be used in the same sentence with) they wick moisture away. They aren't bulky so you could wear fleece over them, but in a lot of cases that would really be over kill. The only disadvantage is they look goofy, if taht bothers you.

If you pop into places like Marshalls and T-J Max you can find Under Armor and ski type underwear cheap too. Also really nice knee high wool socks for skiing.

These are the ones I have- They went up in price. I thought they were cheaper...maybe that's what I told my wife:-)

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1043923_-1_1501500_20000_1502003

Anyway they are very, warm. I use them for other stuff too.

These are the ones I have- They went up in price. I thought they were cheaper...maybe that's what I told my wife:-)

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1043923_-1_1501500_20000_1502003

Anyway they are very, warm. I use them for other stuff too.

sssooooooo...if i spend the money, will my butt look like that picture? tjtroester

sssooooooo...if i spend the money, will my butt look like that picture? tjtroester

Only if you ride and run as much as Mark does