February Fly Tier's night out

bjensen

Just came from the Normal Public Library. The weekend of February 27-28 is open at the library. I'm filling out the paperwork now and would like to turn it in tomorrow. If we decide on another location I can cancel at anytime up to a week prior. Since Sunday seemed to work well for most of us this past weekend, I'm putting the requested date as Sunday, February 28th from 1-4 pm. The meeting room is probably 3-4 times the size of what we had yesterday.

Please advise ASAP if I should change dates or times. Like I said, I'd like to turn this in tomorrow, as the room tends to go fast. As time goes on, we will need to work out the details of what we would like to cover as far as patterns. Yesterday was a wonderful gathering and I think we all had a good time. With a little effort, we can organize it a little better so we can all come away with new patterns and knowledge.

Since the library is practically part of ISU, there are a number of excellent taverns with good eats nearby. Maggie Miley's (a good old Irish pub) and Pub II immediately come to mind. Excellent burgers, wings, etc., not to mention brewski's. Not sure they can quite measure up to Crane Alley, but they're pretty good!

This would also be a good opportunity to tie up some last minute patterns to donate for the blowout. If we get a small group of patterns to work on, we should be able to make a sizeable donation of flies.

I can't believe how quick the 3 hours went by yesterday! Would we want to make it noon to 4???

Let me know your concerns & opinions.......

Brian

Now that's fasssst action. Sounds pretty good to me, but I did hear some discussion about trying for a Saturday, instead of Sunday. Maybe others can jump in with their thoughts before much time passes as to which day is better. I personally can probably do either, but a Saturday might be preferable.

Fred

Sounds as if this will come together quickly. If the Normal Public Library website is correct, they open at 1 p.m. on Sunday and close at 5.

I wonder if we could have a time, either at the start at 1 p.m., or some designated time, when 2 or 3 people could demonstrate a specific fly. I for one, would like to see BenL show us how he ties the crayfish that he does. I'm sure there are 2 or 3 others that several of us would like to see.

Sunday we did a little of that, but it tended to be with the guys sitting next to you. Maybe we could do it on an organized basis with a little more structure with a set time when all of us could look at one fly, and perhaps then try to tie it ourselves. I think that would be constructive and instructive. If Ben and others are willing, they might tell us the materials necessary, so we could either provide our own or make some arrangements to have the materials there we need for each fly.

Another thought...if we wanted more time, the library does stay open later than 4, so we could tie until near 5 pm. Or is that too late for folks traveling?

Ok, here's the latest. Paperwork is turned in at the library, and now I'm waiting to hear back from them to confirm. The library is only open from 1pm until 5pm and we have to be out by 4:45pm. So much for extra time to tie.

On the other hand, there may be another option that could work out better. Waiting on word from a higher-up if we can use the facilities or not. Stay tuned........

Brian

Well, a new option has opened up for a meeting place. Tim (klrbaer) has gotten permission to use a room at Bloomington Fire Station #2, which is on Hamilton Road just down the street from State Farm Corporate South. (I've got the location correct don't I Tim?) We can have it from 1-5pm, with the option to show up early and/or stay a little later. Sounds like we would be more flexible on time, where the library is more strict and we would have to be out promptly at 4:45pm.

Everybody weigh in and let us know what to do. Personally, I like the idea of the fire station. The idea of a little more time is appealing to me.

Brian

Yes Brian, you have the location correct. It's the training room at #2 station on Hamilton Rd. The room can seat at least 20 tyers and has good light. Parking right next to the building, and our times are somewhat flexeble. We can start about an hour earlier and go as late as we want.

Fire station is o.k. by me.I'm assuming you are correct that there is plenty of room and good lighting. Now, is there a tabletop that I can mount my vise to, or do I need to bring a children's book and a heavy weight. ;)

I wonder if we could have a time, either at the start at 1 p.m., or some designated time, when 2 or 3 people could demonstrate a specific fly. I for one, would like to see BenL show us how he ties the crayfish that he does. I'm sure there are 2 or 3 others that several of us would like to see.

I'd be happy to, and I would also love others to offer tutorials as well. Getting to see how others do things is just so valuable in fly tying I think. I bet we would all like another look at those worm fly patters swimming around too.

I'm down with any location in B-N. Unless we can use the pole, then no question - the firestation!