A few Hairy Fodders

Here are a couple of Hairy Fodders I tied last night using Polar Chennile instead of cross cut rabbit. I really like that Polar Chenille.

wixb2h.jpg

ww0j5z.jpg

If the body of the fly looks to bulky, keep in mind that the polar chennile upon getting wet does flatten out and makes a nice, sleek, aerodynamic body. The one thing I would like to change is to use a 60 degree hook like Craig does. I just did not have any the proper size on hand last night.

Looks like I will be able to field test it this weekend. Since I know the fish are going to be deep where I will be fishing, I will be fishing it on my sink tip. Either the 4 ips or the 7 ips. Fishing it slow should elicit some action...........I hope. I have not caught a smallie on the fly rod in quite some time. :(

That's not a Hairy Fodder?

Craig,

I think they are too. They are ancient specimens lacking the 60 deg hooks and ringers of their modern descendents. I would say they are probably from the Ice Age.

"Everybody wants ta get inta da act!"

Some of you might recall that my Fuzzy Bug appeared in the Bronzeback Bulletin several months ago. The Fuzzy Bug was directly inspired by Craig's Hairy Fodder. Craig's version has super action but in larger sizes the rabbit strip bound fly gets pretty heavy. Craig has no problems casting big, heavy flies, but being a mere mortal caster like myself, I came up with the Fuzzy Bug because I liked the bulk and the action without the water absorbing weight. Jonn's version has more flash than either Craig's or my version.

Craig deserves all the credit for coming up with a fly design that not only works great on it's own but is flexible enough to work well in different incarnations. The 60 degree jig hooks, by the way, are great and make any version of the fly fish with fewer snags.

• 2 months later...

Any good leads on ringers? I've tried Meijer and Walgreens with nothing but blank stares from employees.

Any place that sells the horn rim glasses popular in the 50s should have them. Remember Buddy Holly and Barry Goldwater?

buddy-holly-crop.jpg220px-Barry_Goldwater.jpg

That really does not leave much for you. Craig himself is your best bet. Try a pMail.

Guest airbornemike

Any good leads on ringers? I've tried Meijer and Walgreens with nothing but blank stares from employees.

I've been tying all my bottom bouncers with rubber bands that are roughly the same size as the ringers for eye wear. Initially I was concerned about the durability, but the flys I tied this spring and fished throughout the summer are still looking good, Give it a try and save some green.

I originally tried rubberbands, the type used on braces. They work get if you never change the weight. It was the constant flexing that did them in for me. I put the system to work river fishing, I change weights with every riffle, run or pool. I hope you're just not using the band for a decoration but as a tool to help you keep the fly in the strike zone. And Mike, just how cheap are you? Save a little green? They cost ten cents each for c---- sakes. :rolleyes:

I have heard that Super Blue Silicone Fuel Tubing is a suitable alternative. Hobby stores sell it for gas powered model planes. DU-BRO Products, Inc. Wauconda, Illinois is a distributor. Cat. No. 223 Large is supposed to be best. It is easiest for me just to get the rings from Craig though I am keeping this one in mind as a backup source.

Guest airbornemike

I originally tried rubberbands, the type used on braces. They work get if you never change the weight. It was the constant flexing that did them in for me. I put the system to work river fishing, I change weights with every riffle, run or pool. I hope you're just not using the band for a decoration but as a tool to help you keep the fly in the strike zone. And Mike, just how cheap are you? Save a little green? They cost ten cents each for c---- sakes. :rolleyes:

Craig man relax, Yeah I'm pretty cheap :D It's not so much the price but the PIA of getting the things, ok I'm lazy and cheap. Like I said, I used em all season in river conditions and still water. Maybe I'm just not changing my wieghts as much as you do though, and my fly was in the strike zone plenty this season thank you.

Jonn, this is one fly I would really like to see tied at the next tyer's get-together.

Though you can't beat the real thing, here's a virtual look in Craig's own words. Sorry it does not cover attaching the ringer 1.0 or 2.0. Gotta have some secrets.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6094