Pratt's Wayne Woods - Harrier Lake

OK, I decided to answer my own question. I went to Harrier Lake on Sunday to see for myself. What I found was a mixed bag of the good, the bad, and, you guessed it, the ugly. Let's start in reverse order so I can end on a positive note. The ugly includes the green moonscape, treeless and exposed to the wind and the whistle of the freight trains (which could be a plus if you're a railroad buff). For a former quarry, the bank water is extremely shallow and covered in a soup of pollen, weeds, Eurasian Milfoil, old Christmas trees, and pond scum.

In the bad category is the fishing access. The lake edge is shallow and the milfoil so thick, that about 60-70% of the lake is fishable only with topwater gear. There are some little coves, but no peninsulas, piers, or other fisher-friendly features.

So by now you're wondering, "What could possibly be good after that depressing description?"

Well, there is some good. The water itself, beyond the 10 foot scum border, is quite clean. And there are fish. I talked to a few people who reported largemouth bass in the 3 - 4 lb range. I caught one 14 " lmb on a single-tail plastic and several pan fish on the fly rod. I saw lots of small perch and a few bigger lmb's in the water, but no evidence or reports of smallmouth. I'm guessing they were staying deep, maybe near springs feeding the quarry? I'm sure others can offer more details on the makeup of the lake.

In summary, I would not go out of my way to fish there, but might go back for some evening topwater action later in the summer.

Again, I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had a chance to fish it.

Ron

Guest rich mc

i didnt think largemouth were stocked in it, just smallies.another good note is most quarries dont have the weeds so that would make this a plus. rich