Bucktail spinnerbaits

Norm M

I've got a guy making me some bucktail spinnerbaits. Does anyone else still use them?

It was the first type of spinnerbait I ever used first the old Shannon Twin Spin then a singlespin made by a local guy. After he passed on , I started using ones with the living rubber as that's what was availible in the bait shops.

If all goes well , it will be built to my specs by the end of the month.

I've got a guy making me some bucktail spinnerbaits. Does anyone else still use them?

It was the first type of spinnerbait I ever used first the old Shannon Twin Spin then a singlespin made by a local guy. After he passed on , I started using ones with the living rubber as that's what was availible in the bait shops.

I love to use my home made spinners when fish for smallies. il take a photo of some of the new ones i made. i have been buying the spare parts and just build them at work when im bored or late at night when my son passes out. i really like the willow blades give me 10 mins and il upload them after i take a photo.

il have to bring the spinners to work tomorrow since i forgot my camera at the studio.

Bucktails, in-line and spinnerbait, have always been hot Musky baits. We ought to be using them more for bass. With their subtle action they are said to perform best in colder water conditions, while the more active rubber and silicone skirts are better when the water get warm in summer. You should be using them now. When you get your order, let us know how they work. Head to head comparisons with standard rubber or silicone skirt baits would be interesting. Don't let Eric know. :P

Thumper Bucktail?

Rich,

Regular single spins, if I ever find the Twin Spin I have around here somewhere I'll see if he can make those.

Mike,

I'll prolly mail one or two to Eric. It will be interesting to get Master Yoda's take on them.

Gary,

You are the only guy with tackle that old that you bought new when you were middle aged. Old fart :rolleyes:

Years ago I fished with a couple of boys from MO who are Al Agnew disciples. They used the same twin spin spinnerbait that Al talked about at the blowout. They literally cleaned out the whole river on that bait. I tried a standard spinnerbait and got no love!! :( Since then, I have been trying to get ahold of some. I thought I had a friend who was going to make them for me, but I have not heard from him since Jan. :(

Here are the ones i have been making for bass fishing. I have not put any bucktails or feathers on the other ones yet. Its fun making them but after awhile your fingers get kinda sore depending on the gauge of wire you use.

DSC00333-1.jpg

Years ago I fished with a couple of boys from MO who are Al Agnew disciples. They used the same twin spin spinnerbait that Al talked about at the blowout. They literally cleaned out the whole river on that bait. I tried a standard spinnerbait and got no love!! :( Since then, I have been trying to get ahold of some. I thought I had a friend who was going to make them for me, but I have not heard from him since Jan. :(

Norm, try to convince him to try to make a Twin Spin !!!!

Here are the ones i have been making for bass fishing. I have not put any bucktails or feathers on the other ones yet. Its fun making them but after awhile your fingers get kinda sore depending on the gauge of wire you use.

DSC00333-1.jpg

Believe Norm is referring to bucktail spinnerbaits:

bionic-bucktail-spinnerbait-chart.gif

Believe Norm is referring to bucktail spinnerbaits:

bionic-bucktail-spinnerbait-chart.gif

I was thinking that aswell but wanted to show some of the inline spinners i use for bass since i was thinking there kinda similar. il make sure i take some of the buck tails spinner baits i have also have made. there pretty easy to make if you buy them with the lead all ready on the hook, i myself dont like to poor lead with the jig set up.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I felt my ears burning...

Guys, the bucktail twin spin, as you know, is one of my absolute favorite lures. However, like any other lure, it's a tool that doesn't always fit the job. It's at its best in clear, warm water, where you fish it fast and just under the surface. On the clear Ozark streams, it's a deadly summertime lure, much better than a typical spinnerbait, but in colder water or when you need to go deeper I prefer a regular spinnerbait, and in really murky water the typical spinnerbait with big thumping blades will usually outfish the twin spin.

As for bucktail itself, I make some regular spinnerbaits with bucktail, but I'm not convinced it's any better than a silicone skirt. It might work better at times because it does give the lure a different profile, and you can tie it using color combinations that might make it look more like some kind of baitfish--I tie them with olive green bucktail on top, gray and a bit of chartreuse on the sides, and white or cream on the bottom, to match a typical minnow color. Not sure it works any better but it looks pretty.

In fact, even on the twin spins, I know guys who just use a bare Nugget twin spin with a curly tail grub, no skirt at all, and do well. I think the bucktail adds something, but I've used some of mine until most of the bucktail was worn off and they still caught fish like crazy--as long as they had that curly tail grub. So I guess I kinda think the grub trailer is even more important than the bucktail. I practically always dress ANY spinnerbait with a grub trailer--but my dad doesn't and he catches fish like crazy on the typical trailer-less spinnerbait. Go figure.

Guest rich mc

twin spins. i contacted geoff at muddy water tackle [www.mwtackle.com] about making some twin spins. he can make them in 1/8 1/ 4. 3/8 1/2 and 3/4. i ordered a dozen to tryin different sizes and colors . mw tackle makes the spinnerbaits that are at strictly fishing and has some items at gats. rich