My Crease Fly

Guest rich mc

jonn, you sure are adventurous. those flies are very finicky for both casting and how they retrieve and float . danblanton.com has a good pattern on his hot flies page rich

Fly Shop foam is a huge rip-off. Go to the craft section at Wal-mart. They have a stack of 50 sheets (8.5"x5.5"x2mil) for five or six bucks. I believe craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby) have it also.

I get foam from craft stores too. the only thing I'm forced to buy at the fly shop is razor foam. its 1mm and .5mm. thats thin stuff! I use the craft foam to make bodies for my hoppers and dragon flies, I will have a few at the meeting in waterman. I call them "sure float" hoppers because they sure float :blink: I use the razor foam for bodies and wing buds of golden stoneflies, I will also have a few of those at the meeting as well. see you there.

Joe

I got my foam from Wal Mart as well. Yesterday I went back to Wal Mart and found 2 mm foam with a sticky back AND covered with glitter. Got a variety pack of about six colors.........all with glitter. Really made my lunch hour when I found this stuff :P

Here is what I came up with last night with the new foam:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11jrh3o&s=4

The top crease fly has a base of pearl sparkle foam and I added a few touches with the sharpie marker

Now, the bottom fly, which I thought came out perfectly, has a rattle shoved inside the foam and sealed in with epoxy.

By the way, all of the crease flys I have made have had at least one coat of five minute epoxy.

I am going to try and hit some open water this weekend, just to see how these flies react in the water.

Hey, this fly tying thing is fun. :rolleyes:

tying is alot of fun. I try to use new materials in new ways. I dont consider myself a traditional tyer at all. I'm more "new school" and completely self taught. alot of trial and error stuff. I kinda make lures to be used with a flyrod, I'm far from a fly purest.

Joe

Joe:

I think I am leaning towards your school of thought. I like to experiment as well. Tie up an idea and take the fly to the water and test it out. To me that is just pure fun! I like to throw out covential rules and principles and just tye what I think "might" work. I am so new to fly fishing that I will try anything.

john, will you be at the meeting in waterman??? I'm looking forward to meeting you. we think alike, I like to think about what might work and try to come up with something on the vise. I have posted a few flies that look great and work well............but I have a garbage can full of ideas that didnt quite turn out like what I had in mind :lol: but hey it keeps things interesting.

Joe

Guest rich mc

joe, our fundraiser is march 7th. you did enter a few crawbugs in the crayfish tying contest last year but it was won by jude torre in a tank test. its one of the best events around. info is on the website rich

• 2 weeks later...

I'm goin got have to look for the pearl glitter coated white foam next trip to Wal-Mart! BTW, I'll also give you a few of the Crease Fly hooks at the January meeting. You will ba able to make them in a larger size (longer body). I also wanted to mention that the 5 min epoxy is prone to yellowing. Let me know if the tying instructions mention Softex, to coat the body. I can't remember, now. It sounds right, though. And, it doesn't yellow.

The five minute epoxy by the company, Devcon, does not seem to yellow. But I will keep an eye on it. Later today I hope to post a new picture of my newest crease flys. They look MUCH BETTER than my first batch. In addition, I am now making them in different sizes thanks to Scott F.'s donation of hooks.

The Devcon 5 min epoxy is what I use, and it does yellow. However, you will have to wait a year for them to do it. 2-3 years, and the yellowing is really pronounced. So, it might be fine to tie just what you need for the season. You won't notice any yellowing for that season. But, it will show up if you carry some of them over to the next season.