A fly fisherman is born!

Jonn Graham

I am presently looking to purchase a six weight rod/reel combo. I have a few that I like from Cabela's that are in my price range. A few that I am looking at are:

Redington Cross water combo

Lefty Kreh Series One combo

Cabela's Three Forks combos.

Anybody want to comment on these combos, it would be much appreciated.

The Redington and Kreh are probably okay choices, but dont buy anything without casting it first.

Take along a selection of flies you will be throwing with the new rod, it that makes all the difference in the world when trying out a new stick.

A trip to One More Cast in Chicago or Feather Craft in St Louis to check out new rods would be appropriate. I would share gas money to go with you :D .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am presently looking to purchase a six weight rod/reel combo. I have a few that I like from Cabela's that are in my price range. A few that I am looking at are:

Redington Cross water combo

Lefty Kreh Series One combo

Cabela's Three Forks combos.

Anybody want to comment on these combos, it would be much appreciated.

Since it seems that all 3 are pretty much equal to each other I'd go with either the Cabelas or the Redington for $80-$99 vs Krehs for $170.They also have wood reel seats which look better than Kreys aluminum.As a beginner planning to cast deerhair bassbugs you might be better off with a 7wt which Redington doesn't offer.As an alternative to deerhair bugs get a few Gaines Sneaky Pete bassbugs in size 2-6 in black or chartreuse from Cabelas.They're easier to cast and very effective in clearwater conditions. If there are any fly shops not far from you it'd be a good idea to go there before you buy and see what they have to offer.You'd be able to test cast before buying and be given valuable flyfishing info.

Re catalog shopping, in addition to Cabelas catalogs are available from Feathercraft, a fine flyshop in St. Louis.wwwfeather-craft.com,tx1-800-659-1707.When you call you'll be able to ask to speak with an experienced flyfisherman.

Fly fishing for smallies is a balancing act. You have to find the best balance between the waters that you are fishing, the size of fish that are in the river, and the size of flies that you want to use. I have six, seven, and eight weight rods that I use for smallie fishing depending when and where I am fishing. Lately, the seven weight rod has seen the most use. The eight weight rod is tiresome to use for the day long wading trips that I do around here.

You need to think in terms of flies that look and fish big as opposed to flies that are big if you want to fish with a lighter fly rod. I have caught more big smallies in Illinois with the fly rod on a #4 Sparkle Minnow than any other fly that I have used. That fly is less than three inches long but it seems to get fish of all sizes to hit. I tie minnow patterns out of craft hair and other synthetic materials that have big profiles but weigh very little and don't hold much water. These flies are much easier to cast than the same size flies tied out of bunny strips. Jude Tore's Jude bug is a small floating fly that makes a big commotion for a small fly that casts easily with a six weight rod. Four inch long flies tied with bunny strips are not much fun to toss on lighter fly rods.

Leaders and tippet can also make a big difference when casting heavier, bulkier flies so you need to experiment. RIO Clouser lines are great for smallie fishing, but the right leader with that line can change way that the Clouser line fishes. For popper fishing lately I've been using two piece leaders made of six or seven feet of 20 pound test saltwater leader material with a tippet of 1x or 0x which turns over poppers very well. Fast sinking leaders with four or five feet of fluorocarbon line for tippet are great for fishing sub surface.

Thanks. Very good information. If I am going to get a rod to compliment my 8 weight, I would much prefer the six weight, rather than a 7 weight. My flows are quite small and I fairly sure the six weight would probably cast the bigger stuff far enough to reach my beloved bronze.

I am trying to not get too high tech. Decent rod/reel, good line, simple bass taper leaders, and a few select, proven flies and I will be happy.

But, with that said, I am always open to new ideas and tips. Just keep in mind that my time and $$$$ are scarce. I don't want to have to live in my fishing shed. ;)

Jonn,

I didn't realize you'd gotten an 8 when I suggested a 7wt.Re flies, I've had good luck this year with a black Zonker type streamer.It resembles a leech undulating seductively as you strip it in.Check out a fly available from Cabelas called a Meat Whistle tied on a weighted jig hook.

Jonn,

I didn't realize you'd gotten an 8 when I suggested a 7wt.Re flies, I've had good luck this year with a black Zonker type streamer.It resembles a leech undulating seductively as you strip it in.Check out a fly available from Cabelas called a Meat Whistle tied on a weighted jig hook.

I love the looks of the Meat Whistle and I have even tied a few. But..I find if Im fishing in the rocks Iam continually hanging up. Do you have any trouble with excessive hang ups with the M.W.?

I love the looks of the Meat Whistle and I have even tied a few. But..I find if Im fishing in the rocks Iam continually hanging up. Do you have any trouble with excessive hang ups with the M.W.?

Hang ups are a fact of life with these kind of flies. (One reason I prefer bassbugs when practical.)By keeping casts fairly short when fishing snaggy areas a good roll cast will sometimes flip the fly off the snag especially if tied on an upturned hook like the meat whistle or the zonker or clouser.Actively stripping the fly rather than letting it drift will help to avoid snags as of course will using a lighter weight fly.An unweighted fly teamed with an appropriately sized splitshot pinched on at the hookeye is a good option to vary the sink rate by varying splitshot size.

Per Mr. Jordan's suggestion I have decided to purchase a six weight to go along with my 8 weight. As much as I wanted to cast a rod before buying, I also am very excited to try out a six weight. Because of this I went ahead and purchased a six weight sight unseen.

Now, Keep in mind that I have done a bunch of research about this rod/reel combo. I have read countless reviews online and have talked to a few anglers about such combo. The reviews were great and the price was better. The most resounding comment that has been said by everyone who has fished this combo is that it is perfect for the beginner and performs much better than an entry level rod/reel. This fly rod evidently won an award sponsored by Field and Stream. After a lot of thought, I figured what the heck. I am not dropping $400.

I got the Redington Crosswater 2 outfit. Here is a link to the dealer in Ohio I bought the combo from.

http://www.reelflyrod.com/product.sc?categ...p;productId=103

Great guy and very helpful. He had the same great things to say about the Crosswater. He could have tried to sell me a much more expensive outfit, but he didn't. I appreciated that. Plan is for the outfit to be at my door on Friday.

Hi Jonn I use a 6 wgt. all the time it won't really cast very large flies but handles size 2 poppers, sneaky petes and decent size streamers . It does get hairy when I'm fishing some of the rabbit strip leachs and the wind kicks up. it is my favorite wgt. to fish, but also like to fish a 4 wgt. for trout. tight lines Carl

By the way, please don't tell me I need any other fly rods....................my bank account cannot take it. :( I still have to buy flies and various other items.

Jonn

I started off buying flies, and like an angler new to fishing, I bought by impulse and now have too many flies I have no interest in throwing. I guess I had too much waiting time over the winter! Since then, I've settled into a few "confidence" patterns and I focus more on developing my casting skills and technique. I'm also learning to tie these flies myself, which has been enjoyable. I'm sure you will be great at this with your experience tying jigs.

P.S. You don't need other fly rods but you will want many!

I felt a disturbance in the force and was drawn to this site. I see that young master Obe-Jonn-Kanobe has surcomed to the seed I planted in him years ago, just as Dave Franklin has. Welcome to the other side. Anything you need just e-mail me. I want to see you succeed and bring others to the sport. Somehow I'm going to find a way to be in Illinois just to fly fish with you. I have to see this in person. Good luck Jonn!

Craig:

I was wondering when I would hear from you on this post. Yes, your seed has germinated and now I am starting my fly fishing odysey. I am the inexperienced Luke Skywalker and you are my yoda master. I sure could use some Hairy Fodders and any other flies you think I should have in my arsenal. Send them my way and I will send you a check (or maybe a trade for my swim jigs) for whatever the damages are................thanks for your generosity.

Jonn, take some time & get used to what you have. I think you will find the 6wt. is your first choice most of the time. Try to come to the Cast & Compare outing on 10/18 at Hidden Lake - the whole point of this outing is to cast different action,size & taper rods for feel. You won't know what you like until you try it & its alot cheaper to winnow the choices before you buy more. Also expect your requirements to change in the next few years as you cast developes. The Midwest fly show in January is another chance to do this but not on the waterlike the C&C outing. The blowout is a great place to hook up with bargains as we have more fly gear as interest in the group grows. Let us know how it goes - summer & fall low water is my favorite time to fly fish moving water.

By the way, please don't tell me I need any other fly rods....................my bank account cannot take it. :( I still have to buy flies and various other items.

Jonn,

Unlike trout fishing which requires a great # of flies to duplicate the many different kinds of insects along with their various stages of development they specifically feed on all that's needed for smallmouth are 10-12 flies.2or3 for the surface,mid depth,and bottom bouncing will suffice.

P.S.You could always augment your bank account by selling some of your spinning stuff to the 2 Jims.Just remember to dust it off first.

Ron:

That is my plan - get a few flys for the top (by the way I have already made six fly rod poppers myself), a few flys for mid water (like the sparke minnow) and a few bottom flies. I really want to try and keep it simple. God knows I sure have not kept spinning and casting reel fishing simple :( I hope I can control myself when it comes to fly fishing...............wish me luck.

Oh, by the way, not quite ready to let go of my other gear just yet............ but I will always entertain offers. ;)