Morel hunters

jonesy

Just wondering if anyone else on the site is into hunting for Morels? I been out chasing them for the past two weeks, but only just started finding some very fresh Greys over the past three days. Anyone up for a scouting trip to locate some new areas, send me a PM.

jonesy

Morels are some of the best mushrooms going. What latitude are you finding them, Jonesy?

I had a patch near Sullivan several years back but I haven't checked it in a long time. Do you think the yellows might still be popping up down there?

I've been searching for the past two weeks in McHenry County and just started finding the first fresh Grays within the last five days. I know there finding the Yellows right now South of Here. How far down is Sullivan? If it's somewhere b/t here and Springfield I say hit that spot ASAP and reap your reward.

Good Luck,

jonesy

I was out last weekend, in Macon County north of Decatur, and we are on the tail end of the season here. I found enough yellows (if you can ever find enough) for my wife and I a meal. I could have been smallie fishing but sometimes you have to prioritize........

They're just about done with in central MO according to my boss, he's findin dried up ones...but we're getting more rain right now!? I personally don't like eating fungus. But I did try them fried and they were pretty good!

Guest Frank
I just spent 4 days in the woods along the apple river, turkey hunting,smallmouth fishing and morel mushroom hunting.Score- turkey-0 smallmouth-many-morels-0.All in all it was a very good trip.

The smallies mostly wanted rapalas and senkos.

The rain and warmer temps later this week should pick things up.

As far as Morels goes that is.

As far as Morels goes that is.

The rain and warmth will help, but I think it's on now. Check out todays pickings and lunch.

Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm, good!!!

e-bay051.jpg

e-bay052.jpg

e-bay053.jpg

e-bay054.jpg

jonesy

• 11 months later...

I know it's been an odd spring, but with the nice warm weather and rain coming do you think the morels will be out soon? It looks like about this time last year they started showing up. I haven't had much luck finding them since moving to Rockford but I have a lead on some new spots to check out. I was wondering if anyone has stumbled across any yet.

I know it's been an odd spring, but with the nice warm weather and rain coming do you think the morels will be out soon? It looks like about this time last year they started showing up. I haven't had much luck finding them since moving to Rockford but I have a lead on some new spots to check out. I was wondering if anyone has stumbled across any yet.

I heard, yesturday that a few grays had been found in the Peoria area.

Im going out now to check around my "tree". If they are up I will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I found eight large yellow morels Sunday in low areas near a stream and they were actualy a little old. Went out this afternoon, early, and had to walk alittle while to get to where I wanted to hunt and the rain started. Luckly I had taken my rain coat so I only got soaked from the waist down. :)

I had my morels with braised tenderloin over the weekend at an Olive Garden in Ohio, of all places.

To be honest, it had me wondering where I might find a bushel of my own.

Of course, I'd need a Mushroom Guide to figure out which ones won't kill me.

Any good ones we should know about?

I had my morels with braised tenderloin over the weekend at an Olive Garden in Ohio, of all places.

To be honest, it had me wondering where I might find a bushel of my own.

Of course, I'd need a Mushroom Guide to figure out which ones won't kill me.

Any good ones we should know about?

Morels are very recognizable and there isnt any other mushroom that looks similar. Just take a look at Jonesy post/picture and you will beable to identify the real thing. Go find yourself a wooded park and start looking. BTW kids love to go "room" hunting. They may not find any but being out in the woods always seemed to be enough for my kids. Of course now they love hunting mushrooms with their kids. :)

If you are finding yellows in central IL then there should be some greys here in northern, IL. The rivers are high and muddy so I might as well go hunting.

Paul, I was amazed to find yellows since I hadnt found any greys yet. Iam still expecting to find greys when I go today. I think the yellows were isolated to that one area.

Iam sure glad that I enjoy mushroom hunting otherwise I would be pulling my hair out (whats left) with this continued wet weather pattern.

Found 4 today a big haul for me. If we triple batter them and fry em up we can feed a family of 6. I'm too distracted by fish and arrow heads and now mushrooms, I might never get home. Lets hope we don't have to get real jobs and grow up.

Phil