Puglisi's Smallie

Rob G

I should just add a note on the fly above. It's made with Puglisi' synthetic hair and has a very nice movement in the water BUT it doesn't get down very deep or at least not very fast so I reserve it for shallow water conditions or at least when they seem to be feeding up. It will at times foul on the hook when casting but then when your casting technique is as poor as mine is, you don't notice it for all the wind knots and tangles in the trees. An old tooth brush with soft bristles works great to comb it out occasionally during use. Oh, and before Craig gives me hell, yes there is some rainbow crystal flash running midline :D

I should just add a note on the fly above. It's made with Puglisi' synthetic hair and has a very nice movement in the water BUT it doesn't get down very deep or at least not very fast so I reserve it for shallow water conditions or at least when they seem to be feeding up. It will at times foul on the hook when casting but then when your casting technique is as poor as mine is, you don't notice it for all the wind knots and tangles in the trees. An old tooth brush with soft bristles works great to comb it out occasionally during use. Oh, and before Craig gives me hell, yes there is some rainbow crystal flash running midline :D

To get the fly down, I weight the hook with .030 lead or tie it with a cone head (which I feel detracts from the action of the fly). You can also fish it on a sink tip line.

Bear

To get the fly down, I weight the hook with .030 lead or tie it with a cone head (which I feel detracts from the action of the fly). You can also fish it on a sink tip line.

Bear

I pinch a splitshot on at the hookeye which allows the same fly to be fished deep with the shot or shallow when removed.A good caster can cast the shotted fly nicely with a rod as light as a fast action 4wt. The shad pattern should be especially affective on the Kankakee where this past summer I saw big smallies targeting shad.

I pinch a splitshot on at the hookeye which allows the same fly to be fished deep with the shot or shallow when removed.A good caster can cast the shotted fly nicely with a rod as light as a fast action 4wt. The shad pattern should be especially affective on the Kankakee where this past summer I saw big smallies targeting shad.

really? With 4-weight line?

So Ronk, what do you think for this one, about a 3 weight and 6X leader for this magnum zonker Black Bunny Leech? :P

gallery_485_21_218047.jpg

Sure enuf.....each more inane than the last.Assuming you tied the above fly you're obviously a good tier.Since by your own admission above you're a poor caster perhaps like some others I know you should spend less time at the vice and more time practicing casting.You can be a good flyfisherman without being a good tier but you can't be a good flyfisherman without being a good caster.Good flies can be bought. Good casting skills must be earned.

Sure enuf.....each more inane than the last.Assuming you tied the above fly you're obviously a good tier.Since by your own admission above you're a poor caster perhaps like some others I know you should spend less time at the vice and more time practicing casting.You can be a good flyfisherman without being a good tier but you can't be a good flyfisherman without being a good caster.Good flies can be bought. Good casting skills must be earned.

OUCH.......... But you're right,

I definitely need more time practicing. I tend to let too much slack creep in the system and my stop isn't hard enough when lobbing these bricks.

A little testy today, ronk?

Joseph

Not at all,Joseph.By now I'm used to your cheeky little snipes. Am actually beginning to look forward to them since each one serves to further illustrate just how petty you can be.Can't help but wonder though why you won't respond to the offer I made early on in our back and forth and repeated in my last post and imagine anyone following this topic is wondering the same.How about an appropriate reply for a change?It need consist of only one word,"yea' or "nay" to my offer.

I complimented your casting. Twice, what's your problem?

You mean the one where you wanted to arm-wrestle me for a new rod? I printed that one off to show some of your "admirers" . ronk will probably deny this but I have it here at the shop if anyone wants to read it, it really is a hoot.

Lighten up ronk. ;)

Joseph

Complement? Do you really think that anyone is naive enuf to believe that your cynical remark was intended as a compliment?If you want to see what a compliment is see my reply in Clouser Rod.Deny it?Why would I deny it?That offer still stands and was in response to your cnce again sinking to a personal level during another back and forth you initiated when as usual you questioned my ability to do as I say.Talk is cheap.Yea or nay,Joseph.By the way that offer together with the other back and forths we had on that subject were made via personal messages we exchanged.You now have shown yourself to be dishonorable as well as petty in making public what was said in confidence.Being an honorable man I won't make public the cynical,paranoid message you just sent re my fly reel post.Doing so would certainly show your "admirers" were you're coming from.Keep up your replies.I'm curious to see what other character flaws they might reveal