Cooler weather: what happens now?

Tim Smith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reports I'm getting over the last two days seem to indicate a real slow down in numbers of fish caught (Raymond, you did WAY better on the Kank than we would have done here).

Here are the air temperatures over that time period. Next time I get out, I think I'll be targeting those warmer peaks in the afternoon.

I wait for this peak time every year/yeah i said peak/on the k3 I have a few spots that they stack up beyond belief/I can do as well sometimes in the summer ,but I may walk miles nad miles to find them and change bait over and over/when I get this fall run I walk a short distance to a couple spots and usually get them/mostley on top waters also/I,m not bragging just letting people know that this time can be a great big fish time/I donot post pictures because I think the cropped photos luck dumb but I also donot want to go out and see ten guys standing on these spots/no offence/if this weather holds I may get this bite for a few more weeks/It all has to do with the shad/I had fish with numerous shad in there mounths with the treble pinning it shut,bait fish still alive/you donot see that all the time/Its all about food/ da/I,m fishing to Janurary if I can

I primarily fish the Kankakee, though time to fish has been more limited with each passing year.

When I read reports from guys just hammering the smallies on this flow, there is one thing that crosses my mind, considering I can count the "great" days I've had here on one hand....

I suck.

:P

I primarily fish the Kankakee, though time to fish has been more limited with each passing year.

When I read reports from guys just hammering the smallies on this flow, there is one thing that crosses my mind, considering I can count the "great" days I've had here on one hand....

I suck.

:P

No, you don't. You just don't LIVE on the river and have been fed a lot of propaganda, by the dreaded C.O.W. organization. I can count my fantastic days in fall on one finger. I'll give the spot out cause I fished it a thousand times since and never got squat. Pound it sensless for all I care.

I've damn near drowned trying to wade up to it. Stand on warner Bridge facing east (upstream) there is a little "peninsula" sticking out on your right hand side. There is a deep run there.

I was floating from Kankakee with a guy who is now a winning walleye pro. We picked up a few fish here and there. He was tossing a 1/2 oz .He was chucking a 1/2 oz spinnerbait and just started pounding 12-15" smallies. It got funny. At one point he was whipping the spinnerbait out of the water and slinging it out fast. A couple of fish busted the surface chasing the spinnerbait out of the water. It was ridiculous. I don't remember how many fish we caught, probabably 20 or 30. I put on a crankbait and stuck a nice walleye. And then...it stopped. Dead stopped.

For about 8 years.

I'm not doubting anyones word. I've picked up fish here and there. Raymond is right they are feeding on shad. And after your eyes come back into focus Carefully read that post. Walked and walked.

Fct is. Those fish pack up, take work to find, and dissapear in a heartbeat. If you are a regular guy with limited time, this is the time to get other stuff done. Concentrate on summer fishing when fish are dumb (er than us). When you find 'em it's Nirvana. If nirvana were easy everyone would be in nirvana.

And if you can prove me wrong God bless you and please take me fishing and I willl ever...ever sing your praises.

I was visiting our "library" this morning reading a copy of Outdoor Notebook and whether the issue was 10 years old or current there is always the overly enthusiastic fall article. Such that one would think that a hybrid pirahna/cuda had invaded the kank, or the Fox or the Illlinois..

That said I should not pick on O.N., of all the mags its the best AND free. I read every issue. Bob's articles are fresh and so are Jonn's.

All I will say is that the topwater bite has been fantastic and I'm not usually one to make topwaters my first choice . When you see Kamala and I throwing and packing only topwaters that ought to tell you something .

The fish are feeding heavily on shad right now . They like to herd fish such as shad against a barrier to make the foraging easier . The surface is a barrier is it not ? One thing is that when the bite dies at that particular spot , move to another . Being mobile is important right now .

The bottom is covered in moss making foraging on the bottom extremely difficult at best . The fish respond by switching to another food source which pretty much involves feeding off the bottom and up to the top of the water column .

Presenting a bait on the bottom is a futile exercise where the moss is prevalent , it gets fouled immediately and in my opinion the fish aren't feeding down either . Topwaters or baits that can be fished above the moss in the upper part of the water column allows you to fish most efficiently at this point . You aren't catching fish while dragging a half pound of salad , at least I'm not .

The fish have adjusted and those like Raymond who have made the adjustment are doing well .

Does a fall feeding frenzy exist , who knows . It may simply be that the fish are concentrating in a smaller area and there simply is more competition for food . As is well known , I'm one who believes the fish never stop feeding and that a fall feeding frenzy is not necessary to build up fat to make it through the winter . I do believe that when an opportunity presents itself the fish will take advantage of it as long as they can . Right now it seems that shad are presenting that opportunity , maybe the falling temps have something to do with that . I believe that shad are a much better source of protien than crawdads , but whether the fish are smart enough to know that is another question . It prolly is just a case of taking advantage of whats easiest and /or most availible .

Prop baits , chug baits, stick baits , whatever you like it's been working . Fishing baits like sluggos, minus ones , rattlebaits that can be fishing in the upper part of the water column has also been working . Haven't thrown a buzzbait yet , prolly should have .

A conversation between smallies recently heard at the Kankakee :

Marge: Hey Charlie, whatcha havin' for dinner?

Charlie: I dunno Marge, perhaps some gumbo with a bit of salad.

Marge: Seems like too much work to me Charlie.

Charlie: What else is on the menu Marge?

Marge: The chef's special Charlie, the protein platter.

Charlie: Wise choice Marge, you're still tops with me!

...and that's what not enough sleep will do to ya ;)

As is well known , I'm one who believes the fish never stop feeding and that a fall feeding frenzy is not necessary to build up fat to make it through the winter.

Here's a conceptual graph from Greg Whitledge, a Southern Illinois University researcher (funded by the ISA granting program) that could support your point, Norm. For cold-blooded animals, metabolic demand is driven by temperature. Beyond 25C-28C, growth of smallmouth bass is impaired by temperature. The observed increases in fall fat content of smallmouth and other species could be due entirely to a more optimal temperature range for growth. They might not be eating more at all.

I believe that shad are a much better source of protien than crawdads

Yes. Protein and fat as well.

Tim that logically makes sense. The fish clearly feed less this time of year. They aren't as active for as long. Since they aren't as active, eating high protein shad would tend to bulk them up. This could make fishermen think they are eating more.

Fall feeding 'myth' could be anglers catching them bunched up at the few times of day they are active.

My numbers aren't lying. 5+ fish per hour in September, 3 per hour in October. Take away a 67 fish 8 hour OCT 2 trip, it's down to 2.5 per hour.

Just random thoughts, no science.