A line that I like

Gregg S

I am always looking for a line that is low stretch, but also easy to knot and breaks off when hopelessly hung up. I might have found a line I like. (I know, you're happy for me.) P-LINE EVOLUTION is not mono, not floro, and not superline braid. It seems to knot easily and is low stretch. Anybody else tried it?

Gregg

Gregg,

No, I haven't tried the Evolution but you have really peaked my interests in it. What do you think of its abraison-resistance? Is it easy to handle on a spinning reel?

In terms of P-Line, I have been using it for a couple years and I really like it. I use CXX in the 6lb for bass fishing on a spinning reel and the 12lb and 15lb CXX on baitcasters. The CXX is very strong and abraison-resistant. Yes, the 12-15 has memory but if you stretch it out the night before and spray a little reel magic on it, it works perfect the next day. And the the 6lb is awesome on a spinning reel. I have used it all year so far and the only break-offs occurred when I should have retied. It is extremely limp and does not get memory throughout the course of the season. I tried some 12lb Flouroclear a couple years back and that stuff just floated off the spool. I am actually thinking about going back to that for cranks/spinnerbaits/topwater after I use up my bulk spools of Big Game. And I am going to try some 6lb PLine flourocarbon in a couple weeks when I go on vacation. I'll see if I can round up some bass dropshotting those weedlines. Good fishing. Paul

I just spooled up with Evolution yesterday and took a few casts in a little pond. 8lb on spinning reels. It handles and casts nicely. Obviously I need to fish it more to really have anything to say, but my first impression is good.

Gregg

Guest rich mc

bill ballenger of c-b lures hasp line revolution on all his spinnin g reels, he says it the best he has ever used. i was abig fan and still is of p line but have tried cortland endurance and like it better rich

The jury is still out for me, but here is a link to a previous thread:

http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/foru...entry9131

P.S.

I gave the 10 lb McCoy Mean Green on my casting gear a heavy workout most of this past weekend in Wisconsin. It performed great!

I just spooled up with Evolution yesterday and took a few casts in a little pond. 8lb on spinning reels. It handles and casts nicely. Obviously I need to fish it more to really have anything to say, but my first impression is good.

Gregg

Iam fishing 6# Mean Green this season and I love it. Its super limp, I can fill my spinning reel spools almost to the top and it never comes off. Strength is great. No gripes with it except visibility. I cant see the line all the time, depending on the angle/direction of the sun.

How is the visibility of the Evolution.

Evolution is smoke gray. I guess in most applications visibility is not real good. I would have tried the McCoy also, but couldn't find it close by.

Gregg

Ditto for me from Steve S & Paul S.

I use the P-Line CCX and it handles great. Very tough. Good castability & knot strength.

Also, good feedback for McCoy line, similar quailities.

These are both copolymer lines and as it was explained to me in laymen terms-the formula

is different from regular monofilament. A word of caution-use 6# for spinning reels. I rcv'd that

caution from Jonn Graham and heed the warning. I have heard from others that these lines get

a bit "coily" (is that even a word?) in 8# and higher on spinning gear.

They get 2 thumbs up from this fishermen/reporter!

You can pick up McCoy at Strictly Fishing in Plainfield. Or, of course, you can order direct from the company. I must say that I used P-Line extensively for many years before turning to McCoy. P-Line was ok, but McCoy is, in my humble opinion, in another league. When it comes to memory, P-Line cannot hold a candle to McCoy. Also, like Brian said, you don't want to put 8 pound test or higher on your spinning reel if you ARE USING P-LINE! But, in contrast, I have 8 pound McCoy on one of my spinning reels and it work phenomenally well.

If you are looking for a limp line that is strong and behaves on a spinning reel, then McCoy is for you! Thus far, everyone I have turned onto McCoy has agreed and is now devoted to the line.

Also, like Brian said, you don't want to put 8 pound test or higher on your spinning reel if you ARE USING P-LINE!

I have 10 lb PLine Evolution on my spinning reel, and I like it much better than when I used the 10 lb McCoy. It was the McCoy that curled up in my opinion. I was using the PLine Floroclear before the Evolution and like it as well - maybe more.

The McCoy works great on my casting reel.

Personal taste I guess.

I used Copolymer 8lb, McCoy and P-Line, for quite some time, on my 2000/2500 series size reels, and had NO PROBLEM with it coiling. Performance was acceptable and better than other mono lines.

Leave a minimum of 1/16" from the spool outer lip, when spooling.

After the line sets on the reel spool, for some time, coiling is somewhat of an issue.

Attach a suitable lure to the line, make 3-4 casts, after allowing the line to get wetted, the tight coils are nearly gone.

Worked for me.

I've since tried Cortlands Endurance SuperMono (Copolymer) line, and like it much better.

The performance is better over P-line CXX and McCoy.

After extended use, I experience NO COILING---the line is straight, no waves, as I've even witnessed.

Since I started using the Endurance, I switched all my mono lines to Endurance SuperMono.

I feel its the best mono on todays market.

Since I've introduced the Endurance line to many avid anglers, they've switched from other brands and now use Endurance---and are pleased with its performance---better than other monos they used.

On a recent trip to the north country, targeting smallie and LMB, I lost NO fish to breakoffs, while struggle to get fish out of pencil weeds and wood. Pencil weeds are the toughest on mono lines---they easily cause fraying, due their coarseness of the fiberous material.

I also retrieved big LMB from little pads, and lost no fish.

ADVICE:

When using mono lines, and you get snagged and break off, cut-off and remove the line from the reel to the broken tip end of the line.

The stretched line has been stressed and will break prematurely.

When an angler gets snagged, the angler pulls the line until it breaks.

During the pulling and stretching of the line, the line is stressed---a thinner cross-section has developed, and the line has weakened---resulting in premature breaking, because of its thinner diameter.

The stretched line DOES NOT return to its original diameter.

CUT-OFF/REMOVE the stretched line.

Your line is the cheapest link between you and the fish.

Steve S:

When I made the comment that you don't want to put 8 pound test or heavier on a spinning reel, I was talking about the P-LIne CXXX extra strong variety. I am sure the Evolution that you are using is nothing like the CXXXX extra strong. I know for a fact that if you put 8 pound CXXX P-line on a spinning reel you will have nothing but problems.

Ken:

I am interested in trying the Cortland mono. If I ever get up to GAT I will have to purchase a box. Hey, by the way, do you carry McCoy? Also, I am surprised GAT has not begun to stock the 3rd grip rod holsters. They have been a big seller for me and I figured with GAt sitting in the middle of wading heaven, you will would be able to sell quite a few. If you are interested, let me know.

Brian, John,

You guys are right about the difference between 6lb P-line and 8lb P-line CXX. 6lb has virtually no memory while 8lb is a coily mess. You'd be amazed at the difference between the two lines. 6lb is soft and limp yet strong and abraison-resistant.

It is interesting to hear about these different lines. A couple nights ago, I had a long conversation at Angler's Outlet and we were talking about line. A couple of those guys love Yo Zuri Hybrid while others preferred Ande while another swears by Gamma. The conclusion is that there are so many good lines out there. And just to think that all I used to use was Xl and Big Game. Good fishing. Paul

Guest Don R

Tried the Cortland premium mono and liked it. Also tried the Cortland Master braid in 10lb test / 2lb diameter and it didn't fair as well. Most of the knots that appeared out of nowhere were unable to be removed.

I tried Tim N's Fireline (need the specs on that Tim) on the Wisconsin River this past weekend and liked it a lot. I had never used Fireline before and I've heard since then that it's one of those lines that folks either love or loathe.

Tried the Cortland premium mono and liked it. Also tried the Cortland Master braid in 10lb test / 2lb diameter and it didn't fair as well. Most of the knots that appeared out of nowhere were unable to be removed.

Referred to by some, as "wind knots".

Some superbraids are very limp---a small coil or loose line forms on the reel spool, after making a cast.

When the bail is closed, the line wraps over the loop---then on a subsequent cast, the line over the loop, grabs the small coil, and a knot forms and tangles occur.

The small loops can form on the reel spool, when the bail is closed by turning the reel handle.

Generally the line is not under enough tension, at this time---sometimes a small loop forms is on the spool.

Then the next wrap goes over this loop---

on the next cast, as the line is paying out, it grabs the looped line underneath, and results in a "wind knot" and tangles.

The loops can be prevented by closed the bail with your hand vs turning the reel handle to close the bail.

Closing the bail with the reel handle, will often times result in loose line and loops, forming the reel spool, whether mon or superbraids.

Line twisting will also contribute to looping of line on a reel spool.

From my experiences with Cortland MasterBraid, its GREAT!

I don't have that problem with MasterBraid, like I had with other superbraids, on spinning reels.

Best superline I've ever used.

Many problems with lines are "operator/user" related.

Guest Don R
The loops can be prevented by closed the bail with your hand vs turning the reel handle to close the bail.

Closing the bail with the reel handle, will often times result in loose line and loops, forming the reel spool, whether mon or superbraids.

Many problems with lines are "operator/user" related.

I always close the bail by hand. It seems like the knots became less frequent as I lost more and more line. Should braid be spooled up like other line to 1/8" from the edge? That's how I spooled it. I cringe every time I lose another 20' to 50' of braid. The stuff isn't cheap.

I may try a thicker diameter next time. The Cortland Master braid is truly a "10-2" line. The 2lb diameter may be a bit too small for this user. I've tried the 20lb Power Pro and that seemed to reduce the amount of knots. Don't get me wrong.....I love the strength and sensitvity of braided line! I just don't like losing all that line to wind knots.

Don, I use the masterbraid 10lb test, too. I thought that the 10lb was 4lb dia. I could be wrong though...wouldn't be the first time. I LOVE the masterbraid but, I have had the knotting problem, too. I can usually get them out, though. But when I first tried the masterbraid, I had 15lb test and don't remember getting any knots at all. Some old fart in GAT guns talked me into spooling up with the 10lb stuff... ;) (just kidding, Ken) I think I might go back to the 15lb stuff next time I get respooled. First I'm going to try tripping the bail by hand.

I use 8 LB Fireline and close the bail by hand just before the lure hits the water. Been fishing this way the last 3-4 years and have only respooled once. I never have a problem with the line knotting.

Do you mean to say you have been using the same line for 3 years? That's pretty good mileage!

I may try Fireline. The endorsements for braid keep coming through, but I just can't comfortably adapt. I plan on using my casting gear and McCoy for most of the summer now, but we'll see.

Guest Don R
I use 8 LB Fireline and close the bail by hand just before the lure hits the water. Been fishing this way the last 3-4 years and have only respooled once. I never have a problem with the line knotting.

After trying Fireline this past weekend and now reading this....I bet you can guess what I'll be buying at BPS tonight. ;)