Winter go to smallie flies

mannym

5 hours ago, mannym said:

As I crossed Lowell bridge, I noticed water rolling over the ice this morning.  I think heading south might be needed if I want to catch a smallie in January. 

Have you ever seen or heard the ice break on the river. Sometimes the wall of ice is unbelievable. One spring the front half of the old mill pumphouse fell forward and almost blocked the flow. When the ice broke in the spring it pushed the front of the building right back in place. I was shocked when I saw what had happened. The power of ice, water, and current are amazing.

I probably have and just assumed the gravel pit was making the noise. What i have seen are trees along the shoreline with all of the bark missing. I figured it was the ice Pushing onto shore after a river rise. 

Hmmm, i may start flying the drone over the river when it starts to thaw. 

On 1/9/2018 at 8:30 PM, mannym said:

Received my cabelas order and hit the bench right after dinner. 

I haven't dubbed much but happy with how it turned out. I.should ask a smallie for a second opinion. 

Hook- #6 60degree jig hook

Small brass bead 

6 wraps of .025 lead wire

Rabbit tail

Purple flash

Black ice dub

20180109_202115.jpg

Please don’t think this is a comment about the quality of your fly tying ability, but I swear I swept a couple of those out from behind my refrigerator the other day. :D

2 hours ago, Scott Ferguson said:

Please don’t think this is a comment about the quality of your fly tying ability, but I swear I swept a couple of those out from behind my refrigerator the other day. :D

I actually found a crayfish behind the washer once. They have also popped up in a few other places to my wife's chagrin. 

3 hours ago, Scott Ferguson said:

None taken. I think  Ice dub looks like hair from down under. Lol

I like a blue and white hair jig for winter smallies on the Fox and Dupe. This season I’ve been using an olive and chartuese hair jig tied by friend Erik O. and it has been decent for smallies and killer for Fox walleye! 

I have always liked upstream from me for big bronze. The SF area has always been a favorite stretch for me. The area behind Kish cabins comes in at a close second. 

Crappie candy flies are next. 

2 hours ago, mannym said:

I have always liked upstream from me for big bronze. The SF area has always been a favorite stretch for me. The area behind Kish cabins comes in at a close second. 

Crappie candy flies are next. 

I have never fished thae stretch by kish. Every year I think about hitting it with the yak but it doesn't  happen. Jamie was a former student of mine. He said anytime he would gladly shuttle me upstream. We should get together and float it this season, or even just wade it if that's  possible.