Plunk Your Fly

Mike G

I like it. I will have tie some up.

What is great about using Angel Hair on flies is that no matter hard I try to prevent it, the Angel Hair gets distributed throughout the house and leaves sparkly stuff in the carpeting. The sparkly stuff in the carpeting drives my wife crazy. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Excellent, really really enjoyed that and learned a bunch of new techniques, and this coming from a guy who has been tying these now the past two years.

Thanks for posting.

Rob

Rob,

What are the other new things you learned besides plunking? I learned two. First, set the hook point back in the jaws so it is covered and you do not stick yourself when you stroke the fur back. Second, tie the tail in right in front of the hook point instead of back by the bend. I imagine this is to give a clean open gap with no leverage points for throwing the hook.

Always use extra select craft fur?

Very nice. Plunking is new to me also. Thanks for sharing.

I like the Extra Selected Craft Fur. They are long and not slippery, thus easier to work with. Don’t throw the under furs or the scraps away. Keep them for dubbing. They make great minnow heads.

Not sure if you caught what he said, because he ran thru it so quickly, but, if you don't want the fly too long then don't tie in a tail but just start with your first bundle reverse wrapped right at the rear... and that's how I started tying them earlier this year since even without the tail, I can still get a 4" fly without the extra material and weight of a specific tail piece. Because my hook sits so far forward, I noticed some smallies that if not particularly aggressive would come from behind, suck in the rear portion of the fly and never take in the hook, basically hitting it short and so I wanted to shorten my fly up just a bit.

Besides the plunk, which I have to try, he was pretty adamant about not removing any underfur from the bundles. I have been removing quite a bit of it so as not to "clog" up the gap. I learned this year, I want a wide gap hook, and even went to widening the gap a touch more because of all the bulk on the front of the fly. Lefty claimed that you would get better hook sets if you can keep that hook gap more material free. I'm going to try and leave all that underfur in and see if the action is improved but may call for even a larger hook than I used this year or widen the gap further. One thing for sure, it has some nice shake n' bake action and will catch smallies.

you all missed the best part that cold HAMMs BEER on his desk rich mc

Good catch rich. Never tie thirsty!

PS It is a bench not a desk :)

Rob,

The label is out there, but it is not the exlixer it once was.

The name brings back sweet memories. God smiled on me. During my high school and college years, my mother was a book keeper for a Hamm's distributor. There was always some around. That's as good as it gets.

I will give this a try. would a mono loop stop it from tangling?

I don't think the mono loop would help, Mark. But if you tied this fly on a tube, it will solve that problem.

To minimize the tangling problem on my CF Muddler, I keep all the craft-fur on top of the hook shank and coat a small portion (about 1/4 to 1/2 close to the hook) of the craft-fur tail with UV glue and than zap it. This helps tremendous.

Rich,

No problem. I think the beer may be the secret anyway.

This afternoon I was in Water Street Pub in Peru Il. Along with some great food they have an extensive beer list including 31 draft beers, one of which is Hamms. They seem to like the Hamms signs. The Hamms bear, however, seems to enjoy the Leinenkugel's.

attachicon.gifDSCF3354 (800x517).jpgattachicon.gifDSCF3355 (800x722).jpgattachicon.gifDSCF3353 (800x600).jpg

John,

Memories. After a week of wilderness camping in the Quetico, we often wound up in pine paneled bars like that one. We were in heaven. The beer was nectar; the tacky plastic figures were marble statues; the women were all goddesses. Northwood's magic.

I have to tie me some of them bad hair flies. That peach leech looks good too.

I don't think the mono loop would help, Mark. But if you tied this fly on a tube, it will solve that problem.

To minimize the tangling problem on my CF Muddler, I keep all the craft-fur on top of the hook shank and coat a small portion (about 1/4 to 1/2 close to the hook) of the craft-fur tail with UV glue and than zap it. This helps tremendous.

Thanks.