Camp Kish 2017

I plan to participate in some way. That most likely won't involve sleeping in a tent as I have a warm bed 15 minutes away from this location. I figure with the time it would take to load up my camping gear, set it up and then take it back down, I could just drive home and sleep there. I know I'm probably opening myself up to man card revoking. However, I would like to fish with you guys, help with shuttles, make supply runs, tell stories around the campfire, etc.

And yes Kevin I agree, the season will be far from then end in the middle if September. There should still be a few of those special fall days left to enjoy. I catch more big smallmouth on the Kish in late September into October, than I do the rest of the year combined.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to participate in some way. That most likely won't involve sleeping in a tent as I have a warm bed 15 minutes away from this location. I figure with the time it would take to load up my camping gear, set it up and then take it back down, I could just drive home and sleep there. I know I'm probably opening myself up to man card revoking. However, I would like to fish with you guys, help with shuttles, make supply runs, tell stories around the campfire, etc.

You are more than welcome to participate in anyway you see fit, and the same goes for anybody else that would like to join us in anyway they can.

If im in town i will try and make a day of it. Love camping got lots of gear but since i have acute sleep apnea i need 120v Ac. I was joking around about getting an inverter and trying to run it off my trolling battery for kicks. We will see.

My CPAP does run on my trolling battery BTW. Have had it in tents before.

Eric

Camp Kish is a great way to bring the season to an end with fellow ISA members.

Camp Kish 2017 Campers List:

1) Terry Dodge - Float/wade

2) Scott F - Float

3) Ken S - Float

4) Ben K - Float

5) Kevin D - ?

*Jim Wright had to cancel

----------------------------------

Not camping:

7) PaulT

8) Jude

9 Joe R - ? (float)

Trying to make this a good experience for all. Please let me know whether you plan to float or wade. Thanks.

I'll be there for some wade fishing Saturday as no boat.

Not sure yet if I'll tent it Friday night or come in Saturday morning. What time is breakfast, that will help me decide?

Speaking of breakfast... I'm thinking breakfast at this Cherry Valley café I keep hearing about but have yet to experience. Who's' in? Jude, Paul?

I'll be there Friday evening, don't have a hard time yet but will update when it gets closer. I'm also planning on both nights and will be mostly boating. Whats the deal with campfires? do they have some pits?

I will let you know thursday if i can make it got this bug-cold thing that started monday just going to try amd make it through the work week and see where i stand, id be out there saturday and leave in the evening if i come. Id be wading fishing from the left side of the plate cant swing from the right due to a arm issue it feels dorky but it works. Terry dont worry about catering for me im not familiar with main branch but i pretty much carry food drink medical kit back pack when wading and cover as much water as i can and negotiate the land in spots where wading is sketchy. Id probably look to wade up to a 1 or 2 mile section up down river from the camp spot. Possible one way wade if bike or car shuttle is possible. Its not unusual to see me riding a bike down a road with waders and a couple 2pc rods strapped to my back pack. Chicks dig that stuff.

Okay so looks like they are starting work on my storm damaged house Friday and will be completed on weekend sometime. They are ahead of schedule can't leave wife home alone to deal with the tear off and install of roof, gutters, etc

So you are out? Make sure they use Estwing tools, that is if you want the job done right.

80% chance I'm out best case I show up late Saturday wade last 2 or 3 hrs before dark. Spend the night fish Sunday morning a few hours that's only scenario that may work if workers complete work early afternoon and are of my property by say 1 or 2pm. Not very likely but we shall see.

Camp Kish 2017 Campers List:

1) Terry Dodge - Float/wade - Arriving at Noon Friday

2) Scott F - Float - Arriving from Noon -1pm Friday

3) Ken S - Float - Arriving by 7pm Friday night

4) Ben K - Float

5) Kevin D - Wade

----------------------------------

Not camping:

7) PaulT - Float

8) Jude - Float

9) Bart -Float

10) Mark - Float

So Kevin had asked earlier about maybe meeting for breakfast at CVC on Saturday. How does everyone feel about that?

Us campers could either cook and eat our own breakfast and then meet cafe, or just meet at the cafe with everyone for breakfast and then break into groups.

Looks like Kevin and myself will be wading while the rest of you float.

Need a time to meet at the cafe.

Looks like a pretty good turn out for this event. I'll give those attending a little insight into my observations on the Kish recently. I've been dabbling a little bit here and there over the past 2 weeks trying different times, locations, and presentations. Conditions are excellent right now as we have had minimal rain over the past month. I scouted the north branch yesterday and it is finally looking good with low clear water. The fishing was excellent as well. This make all branches of the Kish (North, South & Main branches) in play for this weekend. The south branch was the first to lower and clear. It may be so low that wading could be the best option. Floating could result in many areas where you will need to get out and drag through riffles. The lower south branch near Rockford, North branch, and main branch should be all prime for floating and wading. All of your favorite presentations should work as well. My biggest fish have been coming on topwater. I've been playing around with the smaller sized whopper plopper and have experienced excellent results. It is so easy to fish. Its like a buzzbait you can fish slow and pause. So much easier on my wrists and elbows than walking the dog. In a recent taste test, Kishwakee river smallmouth preferred the whopper plopper almost 2:1 over traditional poppers and soft plastics. Green pumpkin colored soft plastics have worked well also in places where topwaters are challenged (deep holes, tight to structure, heavy current). Minnow profiles have been out producing craw patterns. Here are a few picture of the better specimen caught this week:

An 18.5" caught first thing in the morning

A chunky 17" caught on the whopper plopper mid day

Interesting observation on the north branch as a train with a crane was removing logs off the center piling support the train bridge in Cherry Valley. This activity forced me to fish a different spot which worked out very well.

I look forward to meeting up with fellow ISA members over the weekend. Good luck to all and enjoy the beautiful weather and conditions the Kishwaukee river and this weekend will offer.