Kish South Branch

Terry Dodge

Just so you know...

Not sure what happened to the gage but it's way the heck off.

Stopped down before work on Thursday because after checking the gages it looked to be alright.

It's gotta be off by about 2 or 3 feet.

The canoe launch at Oak Ridge F.P. was under water and the gage read 3.46ft. That's not right.

I like the south at 3.50 for the south. Needless to say I didn't fish.

I did see these fine fellows floating down the very high north....

"Doing it for Dale"

I check the dekalb, Fairdale, and perryville gauges when I consider fishing the south branch. I know the Fairdale shot up high and came down quickly. I'm assuming that is the gauge you are talking about it did come down fast it seems.

I check the dekalb, Fairdale, and perryville gauges when I consider fishing the south branch. I know the Fairdale shot up high and came down quickly. I'm assuming that is the gauge you are talking about it did come down fast it seems.

Right. As I said, when I headed out on Thursday morning the gage was reading 3.46ft. and upon arrival at Oak Ridge, the river was

flowing thru the circular canoe drop off area. That's a bit higher than 3.46ft.

I suspect the gauge is okay and it just so happens to be the dynamics of this particular water event in this case. The river was low and a big influx of rain brought the river up quickly at a time when the entire river system was low and it will drain more quickly upriver. I know Fairdale isn't to far from that canoe launch but I believe gauge at Fairdale is probably okay. By the way I talked to the USGS worker who was doing a survey a couple hundred yards south of that gauge at Irene last year. They go through a lot of effort with survey equipment when calibrating gauges.

I went ahead a took a chance on Sunday the 18th of June with the south branch.

The gage was reading about 3.70ft. and upon my arrival I could see that the gage must be reading right.

I went ahead and dropped my kayak, Brandy, in at Oak Ridge F.P. and did my paddle upstream.

I like the gage to read 3.50ft. when I do this stretch of river because the higher level makes for an easier paddle upstream.

The paddle was still good at 3.70ft. but the clarity at this level is terrible, probably 1 inch at best and chocolate milk, which made

for tough fishing. At 3.50ft. there is some stain but it doesn't effect the fishing, probably helps more than anything.

Just thought I'd share this bit of info.

The north branch has better visibility on average in my opinion. It is running higher than the south branch right now compared to normal levels. It would be nice if I could get some river smallmouth fishing in this year. So far February has been my best river smallmouth fishing month.

You're the second person I've seen to quote February as their best month. It was also my best month.