Kish Float: 4/22/17

April 22, Saturday - Float Outing (Kish)

Breakout those paddles and wet the tips. We will meet at the Cherry Valley Cafe at 7:00 AM for some breakfast eats and then float the Kish from Cherry Valley’s Baumann Park to New Milford’s Atwood Park. This is an all day trip but there is a halfway take-out at Kishwaukee River Forest Preserve for those who may not have all day.
Cherry Valley Cafe is located at 216 E State St, Cherry Valley, IL 61016

It's either this or stay home and mow your grass. Which is it?

----------------------------------------------

After analyzing the conditions for Saturday, April 22, and for the week leading into April 29, I have

decided to postpone the 22nd. and roll this float over to Saturday, April 29.

Rescheduled for Saturday April 29

You at the eatery until maybe 8am?

How's the kish looking now? Gauges still high but coming down slowly is brown and stirred up?

1) Yep.

2) Have not been hanging around the Kish because at the level it is flowing, I would think it would be brown and stirred up.

3) Was there a third question?

If we don't get hit with too much rain in the next week, I think it will be in pretty good shape for a float. (Probably not good for wading, though.)

I hate to say it, but I am going to have to bow out this time gents. Gonna be in Memphis drinking beer and listening to live music.

The Kish crested at 9.59ft. which is about 4 feet over it's normal Summer time flow.

We have a damn good chance of rain fall for Wednesday and Thursday this week and at this point

any amount of rain would be a killer. Also the air temp is to tumble down by the weekend.

When you add it all up, it's just not looking too good.

I move that we push the float date back to either April 29 or May 6th. to allow the waters to recede.

Please share your thoughts.

I don't think it will be fishable on Saturday, and with the forecast, next Saturday may be iffy. I'd say push it out two weeks and keep your fingers crossed.

Jim...we just figure it all out at breakfast: drop the boats off at Baumann and run a couple of vehicles to the take out.

I don't think it will be fishable on Saturday, and with the forecast, next Saturday may be iffy. I'd say push it out two weeks and keep your fingers crossed.

Jim...we just figure it all out at breakfast: drop the boats off at Baumann and run a couple of vehicles to the take out.

Thanks Jude!

I'll keep an eye on it. Whenever you guys decide B)

Let me know what date you decide for the Kish float. Mark and I are trying to schedule a early May float trip for a Chicagoland float but don't want to conflict with the Kish float (I'm selfish and want to make the Kish float also) Water levels are coming down around here. Great smallmouth fishing is right around the corner!

Less rain this week then expected and looking at the gauges I would say it's likely fishable but certainly not ideal. I'm in favor of the push of date. I may hit the kish sunday afternoon I'm so tired of all the largie bass I've been catching on lakes I need moving waters this weekend despite what conditions I may find after I make the hour drive

Rescheduled for Saturday April 29

As of Wednesday @ 5:30am. The gage sits at 7.07ft.

Rains are working their way into the area, so now we must sit back and watch what Mother Nature has

in store for us. Keep an eye on the gage > http://wx.aerisweather.com/rivers/gauge/PRYI2.html

Well we have yet to receive much rain. the gage has gone up .02 and sits at 7.09ft.

This is a good level to float but the weather outlook isn't all that great with rain and dropping temps. > http://www.wifr.com/weather

I hate to do this but let's push it back another week to May 6th.

Rescheduled for Saturday May 6th.

I wouldn't worry about pushing it week to week it is spring time and its better to try and fish spots when your floating by a 3mph instead of flying by at 7mph

May 6th. is the last date I can do. After that I'm a little busy and then we're pretty strong

into the spawn time period, and I don't like to bother them for about 3 weeks during that time.

Probably not going to happen, not for sure. I will make the call come Thursday.

The Rockford/Belvidere area lucked out a little bit and didn't get hit as hard as the were predicting.

If this float does happen it will be from Belvedere to Cherry Valley.

Need the BVD gage to get down around 3.25ft. > http://wx.aerisweather.com/rivers/gauge/BVDI2.html

Usgs Perryville heading up up and up over 11feet. No rivers for me this weekend I've had enough of it went down swinging on the fox friday and in the rain on des Plaines Saturday, catching fish but going to take a break from rivers for awhile and work on gear and do some lure making instead. Probably be tough spawn for fish this year.