hollow pleyes

rich mc

Hey Josh and others,

have any of you tied these things up by clipping the hook and using a trailer hook via mono loop tied in like this video displays. I like the look of this because it keeps the hook towards the rear, hopefully reducing those short strikes which are quite common with this fly. Not sure if the trailing hook will get hung up with the craft fur and/or impede the movement but I'm definitely going to tie a couple up like this and see how they perform.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not tried the mono loop hook tied in Intruder style. I also have not experienced a lot of short strikes on this pattern either. I still find that almost all predators head hit all baitfish if possible. I guess if I was swinging these for steelhead and browns exclusively I would look into the intruder style hook because quite a few strikes you get are pure defensive as in "get out of my riffle" type nips at larger streamers. That trailing stinger would get a number of those fish that are striking out of aggression rather than feeding at times.

Got a chance to head to a nearby pond this afternoon to try out a couple of the hollow fleyes using the mono loop and trailing hook as shown in the above video, post 51

bottom line >>>> Don't waste your time, the fly loses all its shake and bake action and even its shape is somewhat distorted. Another "looks good in the vise and in theory" but it won't hunt as well IMO.

I have been doing a mixture of bucktail and craft fur on this fly. Keep the bucktail in the middle section of the fly and the craft fur as the tail and front. The stiffness of bucktail allows you to use less craft fur thus reduces overall weight.

A trick I've been keeping secret (ready to share now :) ) - drop a small drop of UV glue on the tail, the section closest to the hook, and cue it with UV light. This will prevent the tail from foul hooking. It works with craft fur, rabbit strip, and hackle.

Got a chance to head to a nearby pond this afternoon to try out a couple of the hollow fleyes using the mono loop and trailing hook as shown in the above video, post 51

bottom line >>>> Don't waste your time, the fly loses all its shake and bake action and even its shape is somewhat distorted. Another "looks good in the vise and in theory" but it won't hunt as well IMO.

Rob,

Thanks for being the Guinea pig on this one. Your report of a failed experiment advances the science.:-) We all learn from your mistake.

I have been doing a mixture of bucktail and craft fur on this fly. Keep the bucktail in the middle section of the fly and the craft fur as the tail and front. The stiffness of bucktail allows you to use less craft fur thus reduces overall weight.

A trick I've been keeping secret (ready to share now :) ) - drop a small drop of UV glue on the tail, the section closest to the hook, and cue it with UV light. This will prevent the tail from foul hooking. It works with craft fur, rabbit strip, and hackle.

Photo please of glue to tail technique. Thanks, Rob

This is a Foxy. The little patch of a dark spot on the tail is UV glue soaked into the hide which make a small portion of the tail stiffened.

This is a Foxy. The little patch of a dark spot on the tail is UV glue soaked into the hide which make a small portion of the tail stiffened.

post-1339-0-29063800-1505055098_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I think rich meant to say the guy in the video uses those eyes. It's odd that the guy used eyes because he kinda dissed eyes before he put them on the fly saying that few of the flies he used for guiding had eyes. That is a real can of worms anyway. I am not big fan of eyes other than dumbbells that add weight.