The Learning Curve of Rod Choices

BrianA

As I thin out some fishing rods I do not use much, I have to let the lesson sink in about choosing a rod that covers a multitude of fishing situations rather than a "specialty" rod.

The tried & true will be debated much but not without helpful insights we will gain.................

For larger flows, I like a rod up to 6'6 inch in a medium, fast action. This would be typical of the Kankakee, Fox, Rock, and some other rivers.

For smaller flows, I like a 6' or 6'3 inch rod in light, moderate action or in medium-light moderate action best. These are creek/small rivers.

Both small and large flow choices can fish jigs, soft jerk baits, and topwaters without much fuss.

The larger flow choices I have are 6'6 - 1 pc. St Croix Premier and a 6'6 - 2 pc. Daiwa Heartland rod. The Daiwa has a bit slower action than the St Croix, you get what you pay for but they are sensitive enough.

The smaller flow choices are 6' St Croix Premier - 1 pc. in moderate action, and a 6'2 - 1 pc. Shimano Clarus rod w/ moderate-fast action.

Although all 4 rods cover a range in the pocket book, they have been useful tools for more fishing time and less fooling around. I can always pack the extra spools in my vest to switch up rather than 3-4 rods trying to look like Robin Hood!!

I just received a custom rod yesterday from Cross Timbers Custom Rods.

Really looking forward to putting this one into the rotation.

6'6" one piece.

Med/Heavy

Action: Fast

Mid-Modulous Graphite- 36ml

Ultra-sensitivity

Silicon carbide guides

Hope to put this one at the top of the list.

;)

First off, I am a rod junkie! But another thing to consider is canoe fishing. I have a few rods that are shorter to be used while canoeing. Now, these shorter rods are not puny, little noodle rods. They are short but contain a fast or xtra fast action. My preferred one is the 5'9" St. Croix Avid. In addition, I will usually carry two more rods that measure 6 foot or maybe 6'3".

Now, If I was fishing larger rivers, where longer casts are ideal, then 6'6" or the seven footer is added to my arsenal.

Many anglers say fishing rods are like shoes, you can never have too many! ;)

Jonn,

I have been looking at the St Croix Avid in the 6' 2 model, medium spinning w/ fast action.

This rod looks like the next one for my collection. Also, an admitted rod & reel and tackle junky,

I don't want to fall into the trap.

I may be able to get away w/ it for more than just creek and small river. I like that size now and the series

is a step up from the Premiers' I already have.

Any thoughts on that particular rod??

Are you sure you are not talking about the 6'3" Avid medium with xtra fast action? If you are not, then I am not sure which rod you are speaking of?

If you are talking about the 6'3" model, I can confidently say that this spinning rod blank is the best spinning rod I have ever seen for smallmouth. It can do it all. The extra fast action is amazing!!!! I find myself neglecting my other spinning rods and always picking the 6'3" Avid.

Jonn,

You're probably right, it's the 6'3 Avid. I was doing the shop and compare vs the G-Loomis Bronzeback rod of the same

action, power and size. The Avid just felt really nice and had a great action to it. I was thinking of pairing it w/ either another

Sedona Spinning reel or the Diawa Regal Xi I picked up. The Daiwa seemed like a lot of reel for $40.

The 6' 2 rod I have is the Shimano Clarus, not bad for a better than average, entry level stick. I still won't part with it

even if I've got newer, more expensive ones. It too has a nice action for being a Med/Lt rod.

Thinking the Avid Md action w/ extra fast power might be a real sweet choice for the dough $$$$$$$$!

Check out St Croix Avid AS68MXF---

a tad longer---also a great rod.

The GLoomis line of Bronzeback Series, are some really fine stream smallie rods.

They're worth looking into.

The rod actions on some models, make them ideal candidates for jigs, worms, tubes and other plastics.

Many anglers say fishing rods are like shoes, you can never have too many! ;)

You can use that analogy with women when they start questioning why we have so many rods. When you ask why they have so many pairs of black shoes...... They get it real quick.

I've got that 5'9" Avid that I have always used for skipping' boat docks when fishing for largemouth. Got the 6'8" Avid too. Both great rods. Good fishing. Paul

You can use that analogy with women when they start questioning why we have so many rods. When you ask why they have so many pairs of black shoes...... They get it real quick.

I've got that 5'9" Avid that I have always used for skipping' boat docks when fishing for largemouth. Got the 6'8" Avid too. Both great rods. Good fishing. Paul

Hey, I've got that 6'8"Avid too. My favorite is my Avid 6'9"XFML. Extra length makes fighting a fish more exciting, casts great, sensitive, keeps line out of the water. Love it for pitching under high banks with low hanging branches from above, great for skipping plastics.

• 3 weeks later...
This may be a little late, but I have the 6'3" Avid (AS63MXF) and I can't seem to keep my hands off it. My other rods are jealous.

John,

Its an excellent rod!

Top choice of may avid anglers.

Great all around rod for river and lake fishing, and for a larger variety of lures and presentations---

worms, senkos, tubes, grubs, hulagrubs, spinnerbaits, topwater, crankbait and the like.

It has plenty of back for muscling fish from heavy cover.

The Xfast tip flexes more for increased casting distance and for those quick and powerful hooksets.

The performance excells over most other rods, on todays market.

John,

Its an excellent rod!

Top choice of may avid anglers.

Great all around rod for river and lake fishing, and for a larger variety of lures and presentations---

worms, senkos, tubes, grubs, hulagrubs, spinnerbaits, topwater, crankbait and the like.

It has plenty of back for muscling fish from heavy cover.

The Xfast tip flexes more for increased casting distance and for those quick and powerful hooksets.

The performance excells over most other rods, on todays market.

Yes, I can effortlessly cast just about anything a mile and it has done battle (and won) with two 10+ lb. carp...plus some respectable smallies, as of friday.

Not to mention other uses and abuses. Definately a tough rod!

Teamed up with the Stradic (yea, I said Stradic) and the Masterbraid......she floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee, and can pull a horse through a brick wall!!!

Yes, I can effortlessly cast just about anything a mile and it has done battle (and won) with two 10+ lb. carp...plus some respectable smallies, as of friday.

Not to mention other uses and abuses. Definately a tough rod!

Teamed up with the Stradic (yea, I said Stradic) and the Masterbraid......she floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee, and can pull a horse through a brick wall!!!

Thats an awesome combo set-up!

My #1 All-round rod is a 6'6" Fin-Nor - Mega Lite.

#2 is a 7' Far North Gapen - Medium

#3 is a Fenwick 6'6" HMXS, Medium/Heavy

#4 Berkely 7' Trout Series, E-glass, Light (old school favorite)

Reel are Shimano Sahara, Okuma Alumina & Metaloid.

Stradics S--K! The don't work when they get the slightest amount of dampness!

This season to date!

Nice setups, rick. I'm an Okuma fan thanks to your recommendation on the Alumina. I also picked up an Inspira (next up the line). Super nice reels.

However, I have to disagree with you on the Stradic issue. I know, I know...there are plenty of people here who hate them (please don't drag this out, everyone), but I haven't had any problems with mine and it has seen its fair share of waterin many forms. Who knows...maybe I just got lucky.

If I ever have a problem with it, I'm taking it to kend at GAT to have it fixed. Shimano, apparently, has one of the best warranty/service plans in the industry. That and a little yearly service/cleaning should keep it working great.

If anyone out there doesn't want theirs, I'll take it.

Just had to put in my two bits in defense of the stradic.....so far, my "go-to" reel.