Fox water willow planting 7/9/16

River levels are down & we'll plant 1000 water willow next Saturday 7/9/16 8 AM start. Meet at Glenwood FP in Batavia we will plant some there & more downstream in Lippold park. Also some lizards tail to see how they do. Lunch provided afterwards at the shelter in Glenwood. Please pm if coming so I can plan lunch. Fish after if its not too hot.

John L.

Two more days - river is up a little but looking good. We still need help, cool temps & partly cloudy means good fishing after lunch. Our planting at Lippold is a great spot with lots of structure, good chance to learn some new water. BTW theres too many muskie in this pool in MHO.

As John said we can use more help for this. To paraphrase: more hands make for less work. Planting water willows is actually a lot of fun shared with some great people and you get to really learn a productive section of the Fox river. rsz_100_3767.jpg

I'll be there.

It was a good turnout for the willow planting. A lot of flats of plants were embedded into the Fox River at prime locations. After a smokey start, a fine lunch of grilled hot dogs was enjoyed by all. A few even put KETCHUP on their dogs. Many did some fishing after lunch, and I am eager to hear how many fish were caught.

post-32-0-03736200-1468102715_thumb.jpg post-32-0-05099300-1468102728_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-70270300-1468102749_thumb.jpg post-32-0-30783700-1468102765_thumb.jpg

Some numbers - 19 planted 988 water willows & 152 lizards tail at two locations. Downstream at Lippold park 2/3 of the willows, some of the crew missed the turn & had a little longer walk. Better trail marking next time. The rest went by the old lower dam where we augmented plants from the last two years. These plants have grown in faster than any of the sites in Montgomery & Aurora. The river is wider with more meanders than in alot of the area. Don't buy cheap charcoal, it took an hour to get the grill going which was more a wood fire by that point. Thanks to all who came & helped. Come see these plants while fishing sometime. Slowly the river is looking more like it used to & the fish will benefit.

Mark - we have planted the fox every year since starting. Last year we added the West Branch Dupe which we will repeat on 7/30. Come out & join us again sometime.

Bill - I hope your cut heals up fast.

John

A belated shout out and thanks to John and the 19 ISA members and volunteers who participated in this great even last Saturday. I don't think John could have picked a better spot on the Fox for this planting. I marveled at the beautiful site of the plantings once they were planted. Hopefully they will take and prosper similar to previous year's plantings. Here are some photos of the event that hopefully give you a feel for the outing and the results.

md1eaf.jpg

n12hdd.jpg

20sin37.jpg

az7ywl.jpg

kcny84.jpg

243ji40.jpg

2r2pv9f.jpg