Kish Stream Samplings

July 11 thru July 22, IDNR will be conducting stream samplings of the Kishwaukee River and it’s tributaries.

Contact Terry if you would like to help the IDNR team as they do this scientific study of what lurks beneath the surface.

IDNR regional director Karen Rivera and her team will be conducting stream samplings in the Kishwaukee River corridor beginning in mid-July. The team can usually use some help with these samplings in the way of netters. Netters wade behind a boat shocker that shocks and stuns fish to the surface for netting. Karen runs a tight ship and insists on hauling in the most fish possible. She does not like missed fish. The more fish taken the better the study. It’s that simple. All you need is to bring a pair of non-breathable waders (must have) if you would like to help. Breathable waders will allow the electrical current to pass through, resulting in a shock, so please be sure your waders are non-breathable. Karen and her team will supply the nets and whatever else may be needed.

Unfortunately I have not (at this time) been able to get a hold of Karen for a schedule of dates and times for the samplings. I have sent a couple emails and have still not heard back. Karen is usually very good with getting back in touch. I will post the info as soon as I receive it.

Kishwaukee River Basin Survey – July 2016 Schedule

• PQC-99: So. Br. Kishwaukee River at DeKalb – Monday, July 11, 2016. 9:00 AM. Lions Park, Taylor Street in DeKalb, Boat or ES, Owned by DeKalb Park Dist.
  • PQCL-03: East Br. Of South Branch Kishwaukee – Monday, July 11. 1 PM. Sycamore Golf Course, Airport Road in Sycamore,
  • PQC-01: So. Br. Kishwaukee River at GenoaTuesday, July 12, 2016. 9:00 AM. David Carroll Memorial Park, Park Avenue, Genoa, IL.
  • PQ-11: No. Br. Kishwaukee River at County Line Road- East of Belvidere off of Route 20. Tuesday, July 12. 1:00 PM.
  • PQC-02: So. Br. Kishwaukee River at Rt. 64 west of Sycamore – Wednesday, July 13, 2016. 9 AM. Public Access Pull Off
  • PQC-11: So. Br. Kishwaukee River at McNeal Road Bridge northwest of Kirkland – Wednesday, July 13, 1:00 PM.
  • PQB-07: Kilbuck Creek at Lindenwood Bridge, east side of Lindenwood on Lindenwood Road. Thursday, July 14, 2016. 9 AM
  • PQB-03: Kilbuck Creek at Kilbuck Bluffs Forest Preserve, Thursday, July 14, 2016. 1 PM. Baxter Road, south of Rockford. Winnebago County Forest Preserve Dist
  • PQ-12: No. Br. Kishwaukee River at Blackhawk Road, Friday, July 15, 9:00 AM. Kishwaukee River Forest Preserve, Winnebago Co. FPDist.
  • PQ-09: No. Br. Kishwaukee River at Distillery Road, west of Belvidere. Friday, July 15. 1:00 PM. Boone County Cons. Dist.
  • PQD-05: Beaver Creek at Edson Road, South East of Poplar Grove, Monday, July 18, 2016. 9:00 AM
  • PQD-06: Beaver Creek at Hunter Road, north of Capron, Monday, July 18. 1:00 PM.
  • PQE-04: Piscasaw Creek at Piscasaw Fen Conservation Area, Tuesday, July 19, 2016. 9:00 AM. Norris Lane off of Edson Road, East of Poplar Grove. Boone Co. Cons. Dist
  • PQE-12: Piscasaw Creek at Stimes Conservation Area, Tuesday, July 19. 1:00 PM. Mill Road, South of Capron. Boone Co. Cons. Dist.
  • PQH-01: Rush Creek. No help needed as site is on private property and is accessed by permit only.
  • PQF-06: Coon Creek at Coon Creek Hunt Club, Wednesday, July 20. 1:00 PM. Garden Prairie Road off Route 20, east of Belvidere.
  • PQ-07: No. Br. Kishwaukee River at Marengo – Thursday, July 21, 2016. 9:00 AM. Rt. 23 Bridge, put in alongside bridge just downstream of treatment plant. Road right of way or treatment plant-
  • PQJ-01: No. Br. of the No. Branch Kishwaukee – Thursday, July 21, 2016. 1 PM. McCann’s Berry Farm, Kishwaukee Valley Road, northeast of Marengo. Still need to call.
  • PQ-13: No. Kishwaukee River at Pleasant Valley Road X McCue Road, Friday, July 22, 2016. 9:00 AM. Located northeast of Union just south of Route 176.
  • PQI-10: So. Br. of the North Br. Kishwaukee - Seeman Road, Friday, July 22. 1:00 PM. Located Southeast of Union

I'll help a.m. and p.m. on the 19th. Is there any official sign-up or just show up?

Thanks Jude. No sign up, just show up. You'll be sampling on the Piscasaw.

I'll shoot Karen an email that you'll be there, not sure if she'll get it, but I'll shoot it.

Just let her know that you're with the ISA.

I will of course be at Kilbuck on the 14th. in the PM.

Plan on fishing the Kish in the AM., observe the sampling in the PM., stop at work pick up pay check, hit the Kish again.

Gotta make good use of a vacation day. :)