DuPage Float, April 16, 2016

We had a great day on the DuPage River yesterday, Six ISA members met up at Seil Park in Shorewoodo at 7 am to begin the float. The weather was beautiful with temps near 80 and bluebird skies. River levels were near perfect at 350 cfs and the water was clear. The only problem was algae debris floating down the river. This made fishing difficult as you had to clean your lure after every cast even with weedless presentations. Nonetheless, while the bite wasn't hot we all caught fish approximately 25 smallmouth and a few largemouth with Mark and Tim catching the biggest at 15". We saw a ton fish moving through mid stream including smallmouth, catfish, blue gill and carp, but getting them to bite was another thing. We theorized that fish may be moving staging for the spawn. Everyone had a good time and we took out at approximately 4:00 at McEvily Road. Here are a few photos from the trip

Put in at Seil Park

vrgdph.jpg

Tim started things off pulling with this nice smallie

2qu5g6u.jpg

Mark with a DuPage beauty:

168d98i.jpg

Ken pulled a few out of this eddy:

11kjx4h.jpg

One from my yak:

2w5vv3m.jpg

2yjypl5.jpg

Even though the fishing wasn't great, it was a fun day to be on the DuPage River with a great group of guys.

I had a very pleasant time fishing this river with you guys. Thanks for organizing the float Bart. I really like this river except the floating grass/ algae stuff. Lots of structure, depth, and rocky/gravel substrate to grow some nice smallmouth. Like Bart said there are some very large smb in this river but they just weren't interested in our offerings on this particular day.

Do to the extremely clear water I managed to locate a woman's wallet on the stream bed in the first mile of the float. I hopped out of my kayak to retrieve it. It belonged to a local woman in Shorewood. Her house was only a mile from our put-in so after the float I returned it. Apparently it was stolen from her van two days prior.

Nice job guys. All of those fish look nice and chunky.