Need help with the other bass

Mike Rathsack

At the risk of being banned for asking about largemouth, I was hoping to get some advice for the Mississippi. Last fall, I started to fish for largemouth in the backwaters south of Galena from my canoe. I don't see that many others out there, and those few using lures are tossing spinner and similar baits to the shore. Much of that water is 6 feet or less in depth with really heavy growth or else just sand and muck.

If my meals came from what I catch, I would starve. Would anyone have any advice? I looked for related websites but they address main channel fishing.

Thx.

Mike

In stained backwater, think spinnerbaits and then more spinnerbaits retrieved slowly at this time of year. White or chartreuse or black, according to a close friend of mine who used to fish the big money tour.

The vibration helps the fish lock down on it, most backwater has a ton of brush and cover and you need to cover a lot of area and it helps that these things don't get hung up easily.

Do you see those "few others" catching fish? With so few people back there I just wonder if it's a good area or perhaps more of a seasonal area?

I would try a square bill with rattles along the weed edges now. Not sure how much visibility there is but maybe go back during the spawn to see if you can spot some beds, that will let you know if fish use the area. Once summer comes try using a frog on top or punching through the weeds with some sort of punch rig.

Thanks Johnny G as to the specific blade and yes, I do remembering him also talking about using a trailer.

Mike,

don't feel badly if you don't come away with your limit at this time of year. Again, my good friend who fished a lot of tourneys in the backwaters of the Ohio river and lower Mississippi claimed that one or two decent keeper fish might win the tourney and most just showed up to collect their points for just appearing, as the fishing could be really tough.

Guest rich mc

this time of year i would use a craw jig not just any one but a thick one with bulk to move water. plus the water is shallow use a lighter weight jig . i have fished the feris landing area rich

Mike,

I appreciate your courage in taking on the vast MS backwaters. Since you can't explore everything paddling a canoe, Maps come to mind. I understand that the MS has a lot of navigational charts for you to work with. (consider a guide too.) The point is that 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish. That is a lot of backwater to eliminate. Some backwaters are subject to migration and are fishless other times of the year. Some are big enough to function as year round lakes.

F+L+P=S according to da Lindners. (Fish+Location+Presentation=Success.) Guys here are giving you tips on Presentation, however, I think cracking the code on Location is what you should key on given the seasonal and daily migrations of Largemouths. There are volumes on this. It sounds like a lot of work ahead, but is should pay off in green gold.

Mike,

I appreciate your courage in taking on the vast MS backwaters. Since you can't explore everything paddling a canoe, Maps come to mind. I understand that the MS has a lot of navigational charts for you to work with. (consider a guide too.) The point is that 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish. That is a lot of backwater to eliminate. Some backwaters are subject to migration and are fishless other times of the year. Some are big enough to function as year round lakes.

F+L+P=S according to da Lindners. (Fish+Location+Presentation=Success.) Guys here are giving you tips on Presentation, however, I think cracking the code on Location is what you should key on given the seasonal and daily migrations of Largemouths. There are volumes on this. It sounds like a lot of work ahead, but is should pay off in green gold.

the hypothetical greatest lure with the greatest color in the world won't work if you are using it where the fish are not.

damn meds .

Why won't the greatest lure with the greatest color work if I use it "where the fish are"??

Give us a break Scott. Norm speaks like a Guru bound to the truth. We have all used the perfect lure right where the fish are and come up empty. :wacko: Goldarned Bass! :(

Give us a break Scott. Norm speaks like a Guru bound to the truth. We have all used the perfect lure right where the fish are and come up empty. :wacko: Goldarned Bass! :(

way too often