DuPage Float, April 2, 2016

I was at the river last night chasing a fish I missed on Sunday afternoon... blanked last night.

You guys will be looking at lower water levels, very clear water, some eel grass growth and unfortunately lots and lots of algae. Only a little algae floating yesterday, was able to work cranks and a spinner bait as long as I did not get to near the bottom.

Will be very interested to what fish are caught and on what. I struggle greatly with the algae and fish location this time of year. I have some theories and ideas but not much free time to experiment this year.

Good luck!

Did a short wade scouting mission this evening and found some smallmouth feeding near the top of water column in a deeper pool. I swung my autumn splendor fly through the heart of the pool and the smallmouth slammed the fly. Picked up a 17" and 13". Could be a really good day on Saturday. Hope you can join us.

2ztezhj.jpg

One last callout to anyone willing to bring an extra kayak, pontoon, tandem, etc. I still haven't been able to convince my wife of the aesthetic value of a Coosa hanging from the ceiling of our one-bedroom apartment.