Heads up on Cabela's fly reel sale

Rob G

Looks like the entire line of Cabela's fly reels are on sale, starting at only $15 for their Wind River fly reel (not just a spool). Though I can't personally vouch for this reel, I can tell you that the Prestige Premier at $45 is a steal. I'm told it's made by Lamson and uses their conical drag which is really smooth. The handle could be better but I won't complain too much since it's about 1/4 the price of its machined siblings. I also own the RLS+ fully machined reel and spool which is on sale for $62. It's quite nice though their backing estimates might be a little high if that matters to you. Toss in free shipping with no minimum and there's no reason Santa can't get you taken care of.

I am also very happy with the Cabela's reels. The Prestige has been a workhorse for me. I also have the Wind River for a 5 wt and an 8 wt. I was surprised at how well they both hold up to strong running fish including some fair sized carp and salmon. I used the 5 wt quite frequently the past two years and it is starting to allow the narrow stretch of my weight forward fly line to slip out of the reel between the main casing and the spool. That worries me some but I wouldn't hesitate to use these as an inexpensive backup reel or for someone just giving fly fishing a try. They seem to be quite good for the price.