Breathable Waders

k olson

Finally broke down and bought some breathable waders, had to special order them from bass pro. They seem to fit ok, the problem is I don't know what to compare them to for fit or how are they supposed to fit. They do seem a little big, I have no issue squatting down but when standing seem to have a lot of room. I can take them back if need be and get next size down. When I compare them to others in the club and how their waders fit or the pictures on line they seem to slightly on the big side, debating on whether this is the right decision to keep ? Any suggestions, they sure don't fit like my thermals.

Bigger is better than smaller. Smaller means tighter which means stretched seams which leads to leakage.

I have a 12.5-13 foot, a little over 6' but on the thinner side. Currently I have an older pair of Simms in XL. Fits my feet perfectly, extra inseam room for bending or climbing up/down banks and extra room to layer should I fish colder water.

Just curious, why did you have to special order?

In my experience when the water temps are in the low thirties, layering is needed with neoprene. I quit buying waders that can't be used year round .

Bigger is better than smaller. Smaller means tighter which means stretched seams which leads to leakage.

I have a 12.5-13 foot, a little over 6' but on the thinner side. Currently I have an older pair of Simms in XL. Fits my feet perfectly, extra inseam room for bending or climbing up/down banks and extra room to layer should I fish colder water.

Just curious, why did you have to special order?

Bass pro has limited sizes & selection, I had to order stout, because most of stock were for 6' or taller.

I went with the XLng Orvis Sonics with extra long inseam last year and they haven't leaked yet, knock on wood. Added inseam length allows for crouching and bending that resulted in busted inseams in previous waders with regular inseam length.

In my experience when the water temps are in the low thirties, layering is needed with neoprene. I quit buying waders that can't be used year round .

You may have had 3mms. With 5mms the most that's needed would be a pair of long johns.Neos cost a lot less than quality breathables allowing them to be saved for the warmer conditions for which they're meant. In addition to that saving you can get a size specific to those conditions instead of a one size fits all needed for multi layering. Neos are also less likely to leak which is more than just a nuisance in 30 degree temps. Another advantage is a 2nd pair can serve in a pinch if one pair fails.Unless you live in a shoe box where's the advantage in having only one pair?

Not sure what kind of materials the Bass Pro waders are made of? But keep in mind that GoreTex fabric shrinks over time; so it is always a good idea to have extra room in a brand new pair of GoreTex waders and that goes for GoreTex jackets as well.

Not sure what kind of materials the Bass Pro waders are made of? But keep in mind that GoreTex fabric shrinks over time; so it is always a good idea to have extra room in a brand new pair of GoreTex waders and that goes for GoreTex jackets as well.

Tom, where did you read about Gore Tex shrinking?

Norm

I would that's all the more reason for neos as you must have to do a lot more layering with lightweight waders.

How tightly fitting are neos these days? Back when I had a pair of stocking foots they were pretty snug. My point is that to be warm you need several looser fitting layers. While the neos insulate from the cold water better than breathables is there enough room in them to layer properly?

Tom, where did you read about Gore Tex shrinking?

I have a pair of Simm G3 waders since 2011, it has gotten smaller and smaller over the years. Luckily I bought them with extra room, but now they are fitted. I also have 2 Gore Tex jackets that also got smaller. I know what you're going to say - I'm getting fatter. :D But no. I have been maintaining the same weight over the years too.

I remembered reading from an online forum (can't remember where now) that other people had experienced the same.

How tightly fitting are neos these days? Back when I had a pair of stocking foots they were pretty snug. My point is that to be warm you need several looser fitting layers. While the neos insulate from the cold water better than breathables is there enough room in them to layer properly?

Since little or no layering is needed they're typically meant to fit snugly but stretch to accommodate additional clothing in cold weather.If looser is desired simply buy one size larger.