Dragonfly and Meat !

gordon p

Went to the Honey Hill Orchard in Waterman IL. This has been an annual event for almost 10 years. Great selection of apples and killer pies plus jams, honey and a bunch of other tasty comestibles. While walking around I saw a dragonfly that looked odd in flight. It landed on a fence post and I was able to get within a foot. Wow, it had markings like the one in the photo here but the markings near the abdomen were much darker. It did not have the other spots on the wing either. Really something. I don't think it was this species. It flew away before I could snap a photo. Meandered home and stopped in Elburn, what a cool little town. Walked into Ream's Meat Market....................Holy Moly. CRAZY selection of stuff. Thirty or so people shopping on a Sunday. I asked the female cashier if this was typical for and Sunday and she said " this is slow, usually there are 2 lines waiting to check out" Who woulda thunk..........................lovely day.post-324-0-88189000-1442181575_thumb.jpg

Saw this today too. A couple of miles north of Waterman. There were 3 more silo's ( ? ) on the other side. Looks like a dwelling of sorts on top with a door ? Window ?

Any guesses ?

post-324-0-03600500-1442194627_thumb.jpg

Gordon,

It is probably a dovecote left over from the days when people were serious about raising pigeons-depression chickens. Some old houses in Chicago have these on their roofs. I see them on barns and sheds a lot.

While walking around I saw a dragonfly that looked odd in flight. It landed on a fence post and I was able to get within a foot. Wow, it had markings like the one in the photo here but the markings near the abdomen were much darker. It did not have the other spots on the wing either. Really something. I don't think it was this species. It flew away before I could snap a photo.

They call those "saddlebag" dragonflies. There are a couple different species. This is a Carolina Saddlebags. They seem to show up around late summer, which is when I took this.

https://flic.kr/p/oXiS1w

I've really getting into to tying dragonflies and damselflies but not dry. There are loads of blue damsels and pale or dark olive one's and loads of rust / amber or orange one's around my usual fishing hole.. The Ponds apartments here in bloomington IL on G.E. road. There are two ponds . I use my coyote fly and use a wine or red thread. cuzz there seems to be a purple/caret colored dragon fly...the only way to explain the color is like an ISO color but on a dragon fly and man those fish nail it aggressively. i'll post some pictures soon of the flies i use. take care and don't be scarred on trying new things.If you fly tie i'll be more than happy to show you all how to tie.If any of you just PM me or E-mail me at colindanenberger01@gmail.com