DuPage River float, July 25, 2015

We're rescheduling the DuPage River float for Saturday, July 25th at 7 am. The river levels should be down by then and water temps will be prime time for topwater action. More details to follow.

In putting this event on our Calendar I accidently placed it for today. I couldn't figure out how to delete this, so if anyone knows how please do so. The correct date is July 25th.

Mark your calendars for Saturday, July 25th. Only a month away. We plan to do the southern stretch of the Dupe, which many consider to be the best for smallmouth fishing. We'll plan to meet at Seil Rd. bridge park in Shorewood at 6:30 am to set up shuttle which will take approximately 30 minutes. This is located approximately 1/2 mile west of Rt 59 and Seil Rd intersection in Shorewood where Seil Rd crosses the Dupe. Anyone who needs directions or additional information let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, If the rain stays away this week we may actually have pretty good water levels and weather conditions for next Saturday's scheduled float. Mark your calendars to meet next Saturday (July 25th) at 6 am at Seil Road bridge in Shorewood to set up our shuttles. Should be a great time and opportunity to catch a big smallie, so come out and join us. If anyone needs directions or has any questions let me know.

Brian, we'll have two options, one, about a 6 mile float that will take about 7 hours, the other, a 8/9 mile float that will take about 9/10 hours, depending on how much u pick it apart. Conditions are looking very favorable for the float.

The stars have finally aligned for what looks like perfect conditions for Saturdays float. There is a slight chance for a shower so bring a rain jacket just in case. Also bring a snack lunch and drink to quench your thirst as it looks to be a hot one. Hopefully the smallmouth bite will be hot as well. See you there.

6 guys showed up for the float. The river is a little higher, and not as clear as it can be, but the amount of grass is surprising low. Normally, I can't throw anything with a treble hook as it just gets fouled on every cast. Today, I threw an in-line spinner a lot and rarely got any weeds. I only floated about half the distance 4 of the 6 of us floated and got an even dozen smallies. 6 of them were too small to be even considered dinks, one was 16, one was 12, and the other 4 were in the 9-10 inch range. It's been a while since I had a river smallmouth on the line. I did lose one other nice fish that jumped all the way out of the water and spit the spinner back at me. The 12 inch fish gave me a surprising amount of fight. The 16 incher fought like a fish twice it's size. Just another reminder why the smallmouth is my favorite fish.

2howp5v.jpg

A few extra pics from the event. Thanks to all that came out. In spite of the smallies on the smaller size we at least had decent numbers and great laughs, camaraderie, nice weather and decent water levels.

IMG_1711-z.jpg

IMG_1712.JPG

The weeds & algae this year have been kept at bay by the abnormally high # of cloudy, rainy days reducing the amount of sunlight reaching the streambed to foster weed growth.Between the relative lack of weeds as well as the greatly reduced amount of silt in the river in the last cupl years it's nice to be able to actually see the streambed again.If only the fishing didn't suck in most stretches.

post-3501-0-93999800-1438048978_thumb.jpg post-3501-0-12050700-1438049395_thumb.jpg

post-3501-0-82739000-1438049095_thumb.jpg post-3501-0-73091600-1438048705_thumb.gif

Caught my mixed bag of small smallmouth, largemouth, and rock bass on a safety spin spinner with a back/silver 3" twister tail. I didn't catch anything on the other stuff I threw.