Life jacket & reel repair ?

k olson

Part A- My current PFD is one from my tourney days, its hot, bulky & not really meant to be worn while fishing. It's great when going 60+ on a bass boat but not so much in a kayak. I'm sure which to buy ? The one's that seem the best that have that little rip cord are a 100$ and don't make sense to me anyways. If you fall out of your yak and hit your head & knock yourself out, who is going to pull the rip cord for you ? Just need something small, light, breathable, and cheap.

Any suggestions ?

Part B- I have an Abu Garica promax baitcaster that was working fine until I managed to cast it catching my my other pole that was in holder on coosa yak (design flaw, back poles are pointed in). Once I cleaned up the terrible back lash that was created, the guide the spools the line does not really work anymore. This reel is over a year old, warranty is up. Is it worth having it fixed, & who fixes them or is it history ?

Others that own them will have more to say on PFD's but you should look at the ones that inflate automatically. You'll pay a little more unless you can catch a sale but I think they are worth it if you are in a boat/kayak etc.

Corens Rod and Reel is where I have been going for years and Eric knows his stuff! It is located about a mile north of 90 and Harlem so depending on where you live it may be a drive... that might factor into whether you choose to get it fixed or not. Sounds like it would be a simple fix to me.

I would not buy the automatic pfds as they will go off if you trip and fall into the water while putting your boat into the water our when you are out of the boat wading. In addition, had a buddy who had an automatic pFD. His PFD was laying in the boat and sitting in water, it went off and blew up like a balloon. Happened to buddy and it was quite funny, but he had to go buy another CO2 cartridge. In my opinion, a good kayak PFD has worked well for me. Many of them have little do-hickeys to attach tools to and small pockets.

If you are going to wear one all the time, I strongly suggest you get one that is least restrictive and one that is lightweight and breatheable (part mesh).

Part B- I have an Abu Garica promax baitcaster that was working fine until I managed to cast it catching my my other pole that was in holder on coosa yak (design flaw, back poles are pointed in).

I carry two rods (tube and topwater) and I use the pouches underneath the bottom of the seat when not using one or the other.

I found early on that placing a rod in the rod holders tends to cause problems when floating near or under overhanging tree limbs, and the fact

that they could interfere with your cast. Our first float this year in the NW Region I brought three rods and put on in the hold. Sure enough, trouble.

Never again. The only time I put the rods in the rod holder is when I am entering or exiting the yak.