12 months and counting

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

I know several (OK, it's really only a few) anglers that try to keep their streak alive by catching at least one bronzeback per month. The winter months can be more challenging due to the weather and the slower metabolism of smallmouth bass. I intend on trying more of John Graham's cold water smallie tactics next winter. Although if this cold air mass hangs around much longer I may still have a chance this spring!

2005 was a very busy year for me. I was working a full time job with a good deal of overtime while also trying to keep a failing business afloat (pun intended). When the latter drifted away ;) I have to admit I was relieved for many reasons. First and foremost was the fact that I would have more time to fish!

March of '06 I was mostly hitting the ponds trying to catch those "ugly" green bass. By the time April rolled around I was ready to hit the rivers. Little did I know that month was to be the start of something special. I've been fortunate to catch and release at least one smallie 17" or bigger (from Illinois rivers) for twelve consecutive months.

Last saturday, March 31st the water temps were about 54 F. I tied on a 2" Case pumpkinseed helgrammite a few minutes prior to landing this 17"er. The fish was in a mid-river depression and hit the jig with authority.

I didn't set out a year ago to start some kind of streak...but now that it's there, I'd love to keep it going!

Don R

Don, Congratulations on a great 12 Months of fishing. Your having caught a Smallmouth Bass from Illinois waters every month for the past 12 Months is an accomplishment for you or anyone to be proud of and to stand up and shout about. I hope your wining streak continues for many more months.

It is always good to read your reports. It seems that every report you have you ARE hooking into a 17"er or larger. Keep up the good work. Maybe you can show me "grasshopper" how to stay active, fishing, during the cold months. Keep the reports coming and do NOT slow down. :D:D

I had a three year streak going until I went without smallie this March. It is not "real" fishing in the winter months because you have to fish the treatment plants. It is interesting though, to fish throughout the winter and early spring and track the arrival and departure of the many varieties of fish that visit a pool fed by a constant stream of water warmer than the main river. Smallmouth, largemouth, crappie, bluegill, catfish, carp and creek chubs all seem to be the dominate fish at different times, only to disappear for weeks or months. Now, unlike Don, I never had a streak of big fish. A lot of dinks in the winter to keep the streak going. The streak just sort of happened. It became a reason to get out of the house and into nature, but it also helped to stretch the season. Last fall I was out fishing open river water at the end of November and having a great day. The next day we got the big snow storm on December 1st and that started the treatment plant season for me.

I tied on a 2" Case pumpkinseed helgrammite a few minutes prior to landing this 17"er. The fish was in a mid-river depression and hit the jig with authority.

Funny you mention this.

I was out Saturday with Tim Smith and I had a Case hellgie tied on for the first time in many moons.

Problem wasn't with the bait, but the river and weather just weren't playing nice.

Congrats on your success!

Don ,

Congrats on a streak with larger fish , that is impressive . I had a streak of over ten years but it wasn't with a 17 inch or larger fish in every month .

Guest Don R
Congrats on a streak with larger fish , that is impressive . I had a streak of over ten years but it wasn't with a 17 inch or larger fish in every month .

Thanks Norm. I consider most of my success to be luck with a bit of knowledge sprinkled in for good measure. Ten years....now that is truly impressive!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Don R

I'm sitting here at the computer when I should be out fishing. Got out this morning (on the fox) trying to keep my monthly 17" smallie streak alive. I came up 1/2" short with this one caught on a pumpkinseed hellgie. Also caught three more on a blue fox vibrax spinner. I missed one on a yum crawbug that looked to be in the 18" range. Two days left in the month :blink: Found fish relating to slack water shoreline areas and street run-off pipes.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Don R

Well...the streak has ended. I had a feeling that as soon as I typed something about the streak...well, you know, I jinxed myself :lol:

The month of May has been much better to me and those that I've fished with. Jim Kast got his big smallie of the year this past Saturday at the Green http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/foru...?showtopic=1466. Yesterday I had the pleasure of watching new ISA member matt k reel in his biggest of the year (a beautiful 18.25"er).

Here's matt with a 17.75" (we released the bigger one before a photo was taken)

It was a good day as we landed two fish each between 17.75" and 18.25".

I caught the fish above on a 3" Yum Dinger in green pumpkin/pearl (Thanks Ken D!)

A smallie hunters outing on May 6th produced a nice 18"er for Mr Ed Locke. I'd put the pic up but I have a feeling we'll all be seeing it soon.

Here's a couple more from May...

One of the things I like about smallies is the many different colors,shades and patterns they come in :)

I guess I'll just keep the streak alive (a bit smaller)....14 months at 16.5" or better B)

Don R