Boots without waders ?

k olson

I have read all the input about wading boots and was narrowing down my decision however when the sales person asked what kind of waders do I wear, I replied either thermals or none. Obivously this was puzzling to them, appearantly nobody buys wading boots without waders. My problem is that I'm tired of all the rocks, shells, etc getting into my river shoes so I thought I would purchase some cleated wading boots for warm water wading. I have been real lucky with my thermal waders so far except for lack of traction but bought some clip on traction for them, so I should be set for spring and fall. Is my line of thinking off base about summer wading ? I just like to wear old clothes while wading in warm water, I often take a dip when wading the Dupage, I feel its pretty clean. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this issue.

I use the same boots as when I wear waders and use neoprene booties. timothy

I also wear a wool sock with my neoprene booties. One, my booties for wet wading are thinner than the booties on my waders by a millimeter or two so need to make up that difference. Also way better than a wearing a cotton sock (JMO).

I think they are making booties thicker now or at least in two thicknesses. You still might want a thin sock...

You will still get some river debris in your boots but not as much as in your shoes.

so what's a good lightweight summertime sock to go with these boots ? Thinking about going this route too. Do these boots feel heavy or get waterlogged ?

so what's a good lightweight summertime sock to go with these boots ? Thinking about going this route too. Do these boots feel heavy or get waterlogged ?

I've used the neoprene sock, as mentioned above, when wet-wading with my wading boots. It fills out the boot fit and is pretty comfy.

Has anyone just used a wool sock with wading boots that are street-shoe sized?

thanks norm...I was just curious

gordon...I've just used the neoprene sock only and have been fine. Kevin stated above that he uses it to add thickness for a better boot fit. I would look into that thicker neoprene sock that Kevin mentioned might be now available.

I have read all the input about wading boots and was narrowing down my decision however when the sales person asked what kind of waders do I wear, I replied either thermals or none. Obivously this was puzzling to them, appearantly nobody buys wading boots without waders. My problem is that I'm tired of all the rocks, shells, etc getting into my river shoes so I thought I would purchase some cleated wading boots for warm water wading. I have been real lucky with my thermal waders so far except for lack of traction but bought some clip on traction for them, so I should be set for spring and fall. Is my line of thinking off base about summer wading ? I just like to wear old clothes while wading in warm water, I often take a dip when wading the Dupage, I feel its pretty clean. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated on this issue.

Before reading Terry's post I called Cabelas about to see if they still sold Falcon rods, sales guy informed me only two left and were no longer going to carry them. Then looked at the link about the boots, sold! Picked up a pair of felt bottom with cleat option & the last Falcon baitcaster (medium fast) in store which was marked down from 140$ to 80$, it couldn't have gone any better. Then I headed over to Three Floyds Brewery for some awesome beer & food with a couple of buddies that tagged along. Thanks Terry, I owe you one.

post-1215-0-18578400-1427255952_thumb.jpg

These have held up for years with the help of shoe goo. The felt sole is nice on slippery rock. When the neoprene sock was new it fit tight above my ankle and kept most debris out. Before these I would use old or cheap hiking boots with a soft rubber sole and removable inserts. I could get a couple of years out of them if the soles were sewn on. Don't see sewn on soles much anymore. Some kind of sock does help keep out the pebbles. Neoprene and or wool should do the trick. Does anyone know where I could pick up a low cut neoprene sock like the ones in the photo? Orvis has discontinued this boot.

attachicon.gifIMG_5354 (800x600).jpg

These have held up for years with the help of shoe goo. The felt sole is nice on slippery rock. When the neoprene sock was new it fit tight above my ankle and kept most debris out. Before these I would use old or cheap hiking boots with a soft rubber sole and removable inserts. I could get a couple of years out of them if the soles were sewn on. Don't see sewn on soles much anymore. Some kind of sock does help keep out the pebbles. Neoprene and or wool should do the trick. Does anyone know where I could pick up a low cut neoprene sock like the ones in the photo? Orvis has discontinued this boot.

Simms has both a wading sock and gravel guard sock. The wading sock is 2.5 mm and the gravel guard is 3.5 mm which I assume is the same thickness as their wader bootie. The wading sock is similar to what you currently have. I'm sure other suppliers make something, I just haven't looked as I am satisfied with current set up. Check LL Bean. Cabelas had one awhile back but it was ill fitting and I replaced it with a Simms.

Simms has both a wading sock and gravel guard sock. The wading sock is 2.5 mm and the gravel guard is 3.5 mm which I assume is the same thickness as their wader bootie. The wading sock is similar to what you currently have. I'm sure other suppliers make something, I just haven't looked as I am satisfied with current set up. Check LL Bean. Cabelas had one awhile back but it was ill fitting and I replaced it with a Simms.

Thanks Kevin, I think I may have picked up the same one at Cabela's, I may look into Simms.

As they say,"We all live downstream." It is only recently that Chicago, loosened up on sidewalk cafes. The reason they were originally banned was sanitary. It seems that about 100 years ago city dust on a dry summer day contained a large amount of horse fecal material.

Now are we better off now than then? As a kid I swam in murky ponds waded with abandon in creeks that ran through farms and past homes with "septic" sewer systems. I like to think it built up my immune system. Now someone raised in a more recent sterile environment might not have the same resistance to bacteria that I enjoy. Those born after 1965 should head Eric's warning.

I personally preferred to wear waders, no matter how hot the summer air temp is. I feel that the least it provides some protections from the elements that Eric mentioned - industrial chemicals, micro organisms, poison ivy, mosquitoes, ticks, etc. If you have an open wound, you need to think twice about wet wading. A pair of convertible waders from Orvis is a wonderful option.

I personally preferred to wear waders, no matter how hot the summer air temp is. I feel that the least it provides some protections from the elements that Eric mentioned - industrial chemicals, micro organisms, poison ivy, mosquitoes, ticks, etc. If you have an open wound, you need to think twice about wet wading. A pair of convertible waders from Orvis is a wonderful option.

what Tom said

With type 2 diabetes and several heart adventures and the resulting medications I don't heal quickly and it's harder to stop the flow of blood. I no longer wet wade for those reasons and for the reasons Tom and Eric stated.

If you have cuts, scrapes, nicks, etc use a liquid bandage to protect it. even the cleanest river have plenty of microbes that can cause serious infection issues .