Kish flowing?

Joe R

If I didnt post you know how I did (thumbs down)

2.5hrs skunk Monday on the NB. Nice day though. Very nice. Split time between pike rigged rod and smallie rigged rod. Water stained and high with current it will be different story soon since river will be dropping and warming up a few degrees. Looking forward to April.

Only fish I seen was a basket of suckers that euro-harvesters were taking on worms.

I may try and give it a go Friday possibly, if so I would probably put on waders and give the SB a go (eastern part of river to shorten the drive).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well tornado day was the day I was going to fish S Branch. I'm far away so I rely on USGS online gauges. Most important gauge I like to reference is Fairdale gauge, if not that the Dekalb and Perryville gauges.

After the tornado the Fairdale gauge reported error, now the Fairdale gauge was removed from the USGS list. I was hoping it was just a power outage problem but perhaps there was more damage than that.

When I head to the western edge of S branch I drive through the little town of Fairdale and right out of town I take a right at County line road - that's my route. Never paid much mind to Fairdale so small I'd barely slow down. Google maps doesn't even have a label for the town. Poor town got hammered, maybe they will add a label now.

I was headed north on 39 yesterday headed into Rockford and just before Ivy road you could see debris in the grassy median and on the east side of 39.There was also about 30 or so trees with their tops taken off. Pretty scary stuff...

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think so Bart…you're thinking of a trip on the Main/North Branch. We met two younger guys on the island, and one of them joined after I regaled them with Chug Bug stories. I'm pretty sure I met Joe on the south branch during a solo trip.

Spreading the ISA gospel. Say Hallelujah! (Or however it's spelled)

I know this is an old thread, but one of the young lads you're referring to here is me! I am headed out tomorrow morning with the same buddy of mine to float Belvidere - Cherry Valley. I came to the forum just now to snoop around looking for some insight on what BLVD gage levels should be for a safe float on that stretch.

ChrisC - The BLVD gage varies a great deal, so much so that I don't really understand it. I normally use the PRY12 gage, and

if that is below 8ft. then it is what I consider floatable but EXTREME CAUTION should be used.

I have a run down of cautions on my blog header if you care to check it out > http://smallmouthadventurestd.blogspot.com

I'm sure you probably know but we have a good chance of heavy down pours tonight so be careful.

Jude would probably understand the BLVD gage more than I.

He understands a lot of stuff that I don't.

Thanks a bunch Terry. Earlier today I was checking your blog, which also proved a useful source of info regarding the gages. Still, I appreciate the specific tip you just mentioned. I'll keep an eye on the PRY12 gage overnight and make a judgement call tomorrow morning.

Thanks again sir! Hope you enjoy the weekend.

Chris

Hey Chris…make sure to let us know how you do tomorrow. I would have no qualms about floating at the current level, but I (personally) would not expect a great day fishing. I just suck at fishing in higher flow conditions. Good luck and have fun.

Yes I could use a Kish report been a long time since I have been able to get out there either too busy or if I'm free for a full day outing the river is blown out after a hard rain so I hit a local lake or cold water species on the big pond. I do watch the gauges for kicks though and I'm glad to see the USGS folks brought the Fairdale gauge back to online duty.

Yeah…I was surprised they brought the Fairdale gauge back at all, let alone so quickly. Hopefully today and tomorrow aren't too rainy.

We floated from Belvidere to Cherry Valley, launching at 6am. The river was in excellent condition for paddling, although the fishing was a little tough, as Jude predicted. My buddy caught 2-3 smallies, none bigger than about 10". I caught 2 smallies, a 9" and a 14". He also landed a decent sized pike, and I caught a surprisingly large catfish that put up a tremendous fight against my 6lb test, towing my boat around as well! The catfish was caught on a grub and the rest of the catching was on topwater. I have only fished that section of the Kish twice now, the first time being about a year ago exactly, when we bumped into Jude and the ISA outing. I think the river was a bit higher this time than the last, and it was a pretty tough day for fishing. The weather was overcast giving way to some sun, and despite slow fishing, it was a great way to spend a Saturday. I think we took out in Cherry Valley around 3 pm. For the most part, we fished at the river's pace, but there were a couple times we got out and waded with kayaks tethered. With some more experience on that stretch, or if I get a chance to fish it in lower flow conditions, hopefully I can start to hone in on some of the more productive spots, or spots more likely to hold fish. I really enjoy that peaceful stretch of water though, and look forward to coming back.

Thanks for the report, Chris. That is a beautiful float, with lots of good spots. When the Perryville gauge is around 6 feet the fishing should be much better.

Thanks for the report., Chris. That is a real nice float, with lots of good holes. When the PRY12 gauge is around 6ft. the fishing is much

gooder.

I'm surprised you were able to stretch it out to a 9hr float as fast as it's moving. Hope to meet you out there at some point this year.

Thanks for the report., Chris. That is a real nice float, with lots of good holes. When the PRY12 gauge is around 6ft. the fishing is much

gooder.

I'm surprised you were able to stretch it out to a 9hr float as fast as it's moving. Hope to meet you out there at some point this year.

Don't forget to factor in all the time spent paddling against the current in order to retrieve baits snagged in brush and submerged timber. :)

There were a number of times we got out and waded, also - and a few times we just floated with the current without casting.

I hope to see some of you guys out there this year, too! It's not terribly far from home, but not nearly as close as the Fox, and not easy for me to get out there on weekdays. Maybe I can make it for the wade trip in June.

Thanks again for the advice fellas.

gooder.

They actually try to catch fish Terry. I probably wouldn't have made it to Cherry Valley until dark. It's not a race.

Thanks for the report Chris.

They actually try to catch fish Terry. I probably wouldn't have made it to Cherry Valley until dark. It's not a race.

Thanks for the report Chris.

I am simply trying to state that with the level as high as it was, and the river moving as fast as it was, I am impressed that they were able to turn it into a 9 hour float.

I turned that float into a 13 hour trip a couple of years ago. The fish were biting and I couldn't go 100 yards without catching a fish. It was hot as hell and I only brought two bottles of water. By the time I got to the long, slow, wind-in-your-face stretch between I-90 and Harrison, I thought I was gonna die. Luckily I came upon some canoers nice enough to give me a bottle of water.

HA! I think Bill K, Jim S, and myself know what kind of "bottled of water" they were handing out. Been there done that.

there was some water in that brew at the start, they just simply added some healthy stuff like hops for the added flavor .

Lets keep this thread going (LOL). Been busy not getting out to rivers much lately usually just some local fishing and yaking lake michigan once a week for browns and coho. Finally able to get back to Kish for a up/downstream float. Fished several hours today Boone county section and was disappointed in my arrival after an hour drive to find muddy waters and 6" visibility. After contemplating on staying or going elsewhere I decided to stay. Brought a lot of odds and ends...jigs/plastics, jerkbaits, squarebills, 8wt rod, pike flies, smallie flies.

Spent about 50% time with fly rod and 50% of the time with spinning rod. Aside from one swing and miss smallie on a fly popper that was it for me on smallie action. I did manage a couple mid-20s pike on a 4" pearl swim bait and with a real image craw square bill....a slow day expected better. Oh well next time I guess.

Fished several hours today Boone county section and was disappointed in my arrival after an hour drive to find muddy waters and 6" visibility.

I experienced the same thing on my creek. Before heading out I did notice that there was a spike in the PRY12 gage. Then after

arriving at the creek and seeing how high and stained it was, I just figured the DeKalb area (south of Rockford) must have gotten hit with a storm.

Now you are telling me the north was up also. Where the heck did it rain? There was no rain in the area that I know of. Let's blame Jude.

I experienced the same thing on my creek. Before heading out I did notice that there was a spike in the PRY12 gage. Then after

arriving at the creek and seeing how high and stained it was, I just figured the DeKalb area (south of Rockford) must have gotten hit with a storm.

Now you are telling me the north was up also. Where the heck did it rain? There was no rain in the area that I know of. Let's blame Jude.

Blaming Jude is something new ?

Water clarity is unpredictable sometimes. Ive shown up to rivers that had higher water and were clearer then I would have expected and then slow receding water that was once high stays stained a long time. I think for some reason stain suspends and doesn't always settle fast. There seems to be a lot of silt deposited now we may even need another high watern event to clear some silt out. For those sections that may grow so weeds that will help to filter water some also.

Fishing tomorrow just not sure if I will give south branch a go this time or try the fox.