Common Sucker fly

Starting to play around with creating a good representation of a river sucker for muskie fly fishing. I have a buddy who fishes a bunch in WI and buys a few muskie flies from me every year. He is always looking for a good sucker imitation. I started playing around yesterday with looking at pictures on the internet and then seeing what I had in my materials stash. Here is my first creation:

skuu1h.jpg

I know that this fly is relatively small as muskie flies go. It is only 7 inches long. I did not want to waste two hooks (articulated) until I got the exact colors dialed in. Maybe a 7 inch fly would be good for the early spring. The anglers in the know tell me they use smaller flies in the early spring. My buddy likes it, but wants a little red inserted in the fly to mimic the redness of a redhorse sucker. In addition, I am not sold on the material I used for the tail..........it is all I had. I will have to water test it to see how the tail material flows out the back. I used ice fur for the tail as, like I said, it was the only material I had that had the length I needed. Right now with xmas coming, I cannot buy all the materials I want to purchase. May try some Wampa Hair from Lund's fly shop up in WI. I do know the Laser Dub head is exactly what I envisioned before I started. Also, need one size larger eyes.

Comments/critiques?

I guarantee that would move fish, as is or bigger, but I would definitely try and get a little more length. One guys says pink, one says orange, one only fishes purples or red and blacks, who knows?! I personally dont think it matters so much as just getting it in the right spot at the right time. Although, I prefer the brighter flies because I like seeing my fly on the retrieve in those stained waters. Thats a good looking fly though, I'd fish it! Funny thing is, although I've had plenty of chances with a muskie, my only muskie in the boat came on a chart/white 3" clouser while bass fishing in WI!

Rob:

If you google search river sucker you will see what I was baseing my colors on. You may have a redhorse sucker in your picture (I am no sucker expert). After talking with my buddy who spends most of his time fishing up in WI, the colors vary depending on water clarity and tannin levels. Just like most fish, color vary depending on season, water clairity, and geographical location.

The purchaser of the sucker fly wants me to add a little red and orange. After some searching it looks like redhorse suckers get red/orange tails when they are spawning. Redhorse do seem to be lighter color than the common river sucker, but, once again, I have seen redhorse that are dark brown as well. I have one picture of a sucker from the Wisconsin River that was quite dark.

Rob:

If you google search river sucker you will see what I was baseing my colors on. You may have a redhorse sucker in your picture (I am no sucker expert). After talking with my buddy who spends most of his time fishing up in WI, the colors vary depending on water clarity and tannin levels. Just like most fish, color vary depending on season, water clairity, and geographical location.

Rob:

I think it is a red horse too.

Jonn:

I like the golden brown shades in your version. (In a pinch it could pass for a Smallmouoth.) Pictures of white suckers generally show an olive back, olive and gold along the sides and a noticeable white belly like a walleye almost. Depending on the intensity of spawn colors the redhorse has orange fins and a orange or red tail. Bottom line, add white belly to your version. Do another olive gold white version. Experiment with touches of orange and red if you really want to match the hatch for a redhorse.

BTW this one with a white belly might do it.

f27hnq.jpg