ISA Breakfast/Clean-Up/Sign Postings

Over the next few weeks, we are putting together year-end river clean-ups and sign postings for all of our Regions. Please stay posted and respond in this thread and/or the email notice you will be receiving regarding these outings.

The specifics are as follows:

1) BREAKFAST FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS BEFORE THE OUTING

The ISA would like to show it's appreciation for the volunteer efforts of our Members.

We will meet at local restaurants close to our work location. Bring your appetite... we're buying!!

2) CLEAN-UP LOCATIONS
The location of your work detail will be decided by Regional Coordinators with input from the participants.
There is flexibility here, dependent on the number of workers and locations of dumpsters, etc.

3) SIGN POSTINGS
We typically post and supplement our Catch and Release signs in the spring, though we're already certain there are some that need attention that we'd like to take care of while our volunteers are out and active among these streams.

4) PHOTOGRAPHS!!
This is an important aspect of our efforts this year, as we have a commitment to the IEPA to provide a follow-up of our accomplishments.
I NEED every photo your group can muster, especially those along the riverbanks.

Our first officially scheduled event is as follows:

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 16th

KANKAKEE RIVER

Breakfast will be at Baker's Square in Bradley (Rt. 50 and Armor Rd.) at 8:00 a.m.
We'll do a quick sweep of the State Park and Warner Bridge areas and split into teams as necessary.

Bags will be provided by the ISA and will be brought to the dumpster next to the concession building.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT TO VOLUNTEER A FEW HOURS FOR YOUR CLUB ON THIS DAY!!

Regional Coordinators-

Please set a date for your region and ADD your event to this thread!

I've got a few areas on the Fox that I use as access points for kayaking and they are also popular with bank anglers. I can get my kids out for some hours of cleanup and take some photos. It should be quick and easy with all the foliage down. It won't take a lot of effort but will certainly make the place look nicer. Mostly blue bait containers, line, lure packages, bottles and cans, etc. We'll target a few hours each day this weekend.

There is a log jam on the east branch of the Dupage River at Hidden Lakes park in Bolingbrook that has accumulated a ton of garbage and desperately needs attention. Anyone willing to help clean it up please meet at Hidden Lakes parking lot located just north of intersection of Boughton Road and Schmidt Road at 11 am this Saturday, November 8th. I'll bring my kayaks and garbage bags. We can grab some grub afterwards.

Let's meet Sunday, the 16th at 8 am at Baker's Square, 1315 E Armour Rd, Bourbonnais. That's Rt 50, just South of I-57. The ISA will pick up the tab for breakfast. We'll head over to the Kankakee River State Park after and pick up some trash. If you can make it, post here so we'll know how many to expect. We really need to make an effort to get this done. Your help will be much appreciated!

I will be there at 8.

I already posted the 16th!! :P

I'm out of town on Saturday.....
Not going to stop you boys either way....be my guest, by all means.

From the first post in the thread-

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 16th
KANKAKEE RIVER
Breakfast will be at Baker's Square in Bradley (Rt. 50 and Armor Rd.) at 8:00 a.m.
We'll do a quick sweep of the State Park and Warner Bridge areas and split into teams as necessary.
Bags will be provided by the ISA

Will the trash be visible under a layer of snow?

November 15, 2014

My youngest son Brent and I got out to one of our favorite forest preserves along the Fox River for a shoreline cleanup. The air temp was near freezing but the bright sun felt really nice. We could not believe how clear the Fox River looked! We both had polarized sunglasses on and it was really neat to see all the rocks and logs that are normally hidden beneath the murky water.

The spot we targeted is frequently used by bank fishermen. We found a lot of bait containers, malt liquor bottles, and line. Even one of those primitive "Coke bottle" reels. This was a "feel good" outing for us, just bringing back some of the aesthetics to the area and hopefully all the monofilament we gathered saved a few critters from harm's way.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg