Autumn on the Kish Float

September 27 - Autumn on the Kish Float. (Cherry Valley to Kish F.P.) (host Terry)
Spouse appreciation day.
That's right. Your spouse has put up with all your fishing crap throughout the year so now it's time to show your appreciation.
With the Fall colors beginning to take over, a float down the Kishwaukee River this time of year is just about the best way to say thanks.
We will meet at the Ojeda's Steakhouse & Bar at 8am. for some morning eats.
We will then put-in at Baumann Park in Cherry Valley and float to Kishwaukee River F.P.

Ojeda's Steakhouse & Bar
(https://www.facebook...493003977481397)

I can't believe I'm doing this....

It's 2am. Saturday morning, Sept. 27th. and I feeling way the heck below the weather. Sicker than a dog I am.

Not sure if I'm going to be able to do this thing.

Jim S. and Josh know the river very well. so you guys should have no problems if I am unable to make it.

I hope to be there, but the way I feel right now, it's not too likely.

Good luck and enjoy.

May Brutus grace the end of your line.

I managed to make it to the show. Woke up around 7:30ish in the am and feeling much better.

I made it to breakfast about a half an hour late but Jim and Brian didn't seem to mind waiting. Thanks guys!

There was just the 3 of us. We got on the water about 10:30 and it was a picture perfect day.

I ended the day with 11 smallmouth, 14 incher being my biggest. All my smallmouth were caught with a tube.

Jim brought to hand something like 8 smallmouth with a 15 incher that tested his 6' custom fly rod he built himself.

Brian felt it necessary to baptize himself in the Kish and then ended the day on 3 fish, I think it was 17.5 inch was his biggest and the biggest of the day.

No Brutus today, but what a great day to spend on the river.

These bald eagles are getting to be about as thick as the gooses. Love it. Wish I could get a pic of one.

I hope Jim and Brian each had safe drives home. Brandy and myself are home.

Pics of the day....

It was a great float. As Terry mentioned, I dumped my kayak for the first time & was baptized in the waters of the mighty Kish. Nearly everything in my kayak was tied down except the rod and reel I was using, a few tools, and my water bottle. In the end, the only thing that was lost was the water bottle. Thanks to Jim for the help; the tools were easily recovered and the rod and reel was pushed by the current about 10 yards downstream and found there.

I worked pretty hard for that 17". As I was floating by an eddy, I tossed a Flappin' Hawg into it directly under an overhanging tree. The fish smacked it on the fall and I missed the hookset. I turned the kayak around, and paddled hard upstream in an area of strong current and worked my way back to the spot. There was a very shallow area just upstream from the eddy where I hopped out of the kayak and grabbed the leash. I grabbed another rod that was rigged with a Honeybuzz. I ended up putting the bait right under the tree and on the second crank he came charging again and crushed it. I was a bit disappointed, it looked like a bigger fish initially, but he put up a heck of a fight. Certainly not going to complain about a 17 incher.