Outboard Help (now Trolling Motor and More)

Tom L

As Andy says a sb could be an aid fishing from a boat replete with electronic gear(seldom needed stream fishing & often not in stillwater either) But even than hand holding the line while casting standing up would at least in most instances be a good alternative.It may be easier to rely on an artificial aid but learning this technique will make any ffer a more complete & proficient caster.Next to the dubl haul it's the most important casting technique I know especially in streams where the vast majority of ffing is done as well as from shorelines with tall thick cover like many of the Driftless streams where a sb would only be a hindrance thruout the summer months

I hand hold my line for most instances. It keeps me more mobile and can get my line out faster.

Still trying to master the double haul and steeple cast.

I had a cable foot control. Not fun in waves and while not leaning against my bike seat. I would try the hand control motor before spending big money on a nice foot controlled trolling motor. You can pick them up real cheap on Craigslist. Even if you go with a foot controlled, the hand controlled trolling motor will some day still be used. They are a good backup.

I am in the same boat as you. No pun intended. Only mine is a 20ft jon boat. I want a 9.9 4 stroke to fish the 10hp lakes in the area. I am also going to purchase a trolling motor. I will probably wait for early winter. Maybe there will be some good deals on Sportsman's Guide or Bass Pro.