Wombat Fly?

Hey guys. I was checking out that fly that Austin had mentioned from "Great Lakes Fly", the fly that had been the hot ticket on their recent Kank float. Anyways, this is just my take on it. Simple fly, a little sloppy because I tied it up in a rush. A lot of color variations you could do, I just stuck with these colors since I had them out already for other flies. Thanks, Ryan

ra9ap2.jpg

Ryan - That looks pretty good for the first. I would start the Estaz further back closer to the hook bend. I forgot to mention in the post that the fly has a small rattle imbedded. This fly sinks fast and has a lot of flashes which is good for high & murky water. I also tried the same fly in olive, but yellow worked best that day.

Recipe Tom or Ryan?

Ryan - That looks pretty good for the first. I would start the Estaz further back closer to the hook bend. I forgot to mention in the post that the fly has a small rattle imbedded. This fly sinks fast and has a lot of flashes which is good for high & murky water. I also tried the same fly in olive, but yellow worked best that day.

Yeah, I tied that bunny down and prevented me from being able to wrap the estaz back more. Next time I will probably just tie the bunny down closer to the eye, and thats it. I did read this fly is tied with a rattle, but I can do without it!

very close to the bonker zonker fly. I like that hook rich mc

$11.99 for 100 hooks, and they are sharp and not flimsy. At BPS, in the jig tying aisle. These are size 2.

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=2_93_2075

Recipe Tom or Ryan?

My hook is above. I just (1) tied in some pearl flashabou at the bend, then (2) wrapped pearl estaz, up to and around the lead eyes(which were tied on first step). Then (3) pierce your magnum bunny strip, and tie down towards the eye. Heres the originals from Great Lakes Flies. Maybe another step involved in these, a little fancier. I just like to keep it simple. Ryan

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.greatlakesfly.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/wombat.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=Wombat