Steffen 7'0" 5wt. 3pc.

Colt Johnson

For those who like shorter rods you should definitely take a look at this one! It has all the goods. It casts in close and has lots of reserve power. I found that a Rio Gold 5wt. was a perfect match. I've got a keeper, and I have a couple creeks in mind where this is going to be the perfect smallmouth rod!

Here are a few photos:

DSC_1214_zps6d088839.jpg

DSC_0008_zps6ced7b07.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsbfb7cc18.jpg

DSC_1209_zpsbbfba8f9.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsb6bcecbe.jpg

DSC_1213_zpsf807906e.jpg

DSC_1206_zps71f41c94.jpg

Colt

Yea Ron, the 3 piece is the bastard child of the rod industry, slowly on the way out. But personally I like em, one less joint to come loose and it still packs down to something manageable.

Beautiful work Colt, that agate stripping guide rally matches the rod blank nicely, also the wraps and reel seat are lovely. If it fishes well, a keeper for sure.

Rob

I don't see why rod mfrs made odd #ered sections in the 1st place.They've always reminded of someone looking silly walking along with one foot on the sidewalk the other in the gutter.I regret the demise of 2 piece rods as an option.Fewer pieces to align & maintain & their symmetry is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Colt

I've always admired ( and have said so in past) the beautiful workmanship of all the rods you've made. That said my criticism of 3 piece rods is a valid one.

Ronk,

I know you have, but I had to give you a hard time. Please know that I consider everyone on this forum friends, because we share a very important value: FISHING. I place a lot of value on fishing and I know everyone here does as well.

I also understand your aesthetic critique of 3pc. rods, and I have heard similar critiques of 2pc. and 4pc. rods. Everyone is visually attracted to different things. However, I don't buy into any of the ideas/critiques that 2pc. rods are better than 3pc. or 4pc. rods. I do recognize that adding ferrules impacts the flex profile of a rod. Nonetheless, ferrule technology has come a long way, and I think it has less impact than what some people try to argue. I've built about 100 plus fly rods over the last 4 years (2pc., 3pc., 4pc., 5pc., 6pc., 7pc., 8pc. and 10pc.), and I could not say that 2pc. rods are better than 3pc. rods or 4pc. rods or etc. There are way too many other variables that go into making a rod blank that have a significantly larger impact on the rod's performance than the number of sections.

I can say that in my numerous conversations with Mark Steffen (the maker of the blank shown above) he seems to really like his 3pc. blanks the most. I did, however, just order a 7'9" 7/8wt. 2pc. blank from Mark. It should be an interesting taper as he has previously only offered his 7/8wt. blanks in 8'6" and 8'3" lengths and they tend to get pretty heavy (physically). I'm sure I will post some photos/review of the rod once it is finished.

Cheers,

Colt

Colt

My preference for 2 piece rods is strictly about aesthetics not performance.When a 2 piece rod comes out of it's case it looks like a flyrod should to me whereas a multipiece rod comes out looking like so many chopsticks.I did actually order the 4 piece Orvis Access last year.But when I saw it had unsightly spigot ferrules I x'd it for the 2piece.Cuddoes to Orvis for offering a 2 piece option if only for that series.

Some of my favorite rods to fish (Scott heliplys) came in only 3pc configurations with the unsightly spigot ferrules ;) I guess that is why there are so many different rod manufacturers making fly rods. That is a beautiful build on the Steffen.