What kind of flies?

I was wondering what some of the names of these flies might be and if they looked like they were any good? My back stories can be long winded so suffice it to say someone sent me a bunch of flies several years ago. Not ready to come over to the dark side just yet ;) but I did some casting at Hunting and Fishing days a few years ago and also at Coren's once and enjoyed it.

Almost forgot picture...

post-588-0-28366300-1395713723_thumb.jpg

Lots of Clouser flies and their variants in that group. Very effective but can be a little difficult to learn how to cast with since they tend to be heavily weighted. I see a couple Deceiver flies, a Sand eel, black marabou leech?, black woolly bugger?, and few smaller parachute dry flies. They'll all fish so enjoy.

Left hand column: The first 5 are Clouser Minnows = great smallmouth flies. The bottom 4 flies look like some kind of top-water tied parachute style, the bottom with rubber legs maybe a parachute hopper.

Center column: The first 3 look like some kind of worm flies. 4-5 are Half-and-Half's = good smallmouth flies also.

Right hand column: #1 is a leech pattern. #2 is a wooly bugger. #3 & #6 are Clouser Minnows. #4 looks like a Surf Candy - a minnow imitation can be used for smallmoth. #5 an injured minnow or a beat-up minnow maybe - not sure.

Hope that helps, Kevin.

Left hand column: The first 5 are Clouser Minnows = great smallmouth flies. The bottom 4 flies look like some kind of top-water tied parachute style, the bottom with rubber legs maybe a parachute hopper.

Center column: The first 3 look like some kind of worm flies. 4-5 are Half-and-Half's = good smallmouth flies also.

Right hand column: #1 is a leech pattern. #2 is a wooly bugger. #3 & #6 are Clouser Minnows. #4 looks like a Surf Candy - a minnow imitation can be used for smallmoth. #5 an injured minnow or a beat-up minnow maybe - not sure.

Hope that helps, Kevin.

Tom did a great job here. I will say that this looks like a collection from an east coast striped bass fisherman. RH #5 is a "Ray's fly," designed by striper fisherman Ray Bonderew of Rhode Island.

post-1902-0-33782700-1395805086_thumb.jpg

The first fly in the center column is a classic imitation of a cinder worm, a worm that "hatches" on evening dropping tides around full moon in May as it leaves the back bays for the ocean and makes the stripers go crazy (similar to the palolo worm hatch for Keys tarpon).

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/travel/north-america/striper-fishing-during-cinder-worm-hatch?image=151311

The good news is all these flies will catch smallmouth!

No problem, Tom. Note the quotes by Paul Dixon--the guide that pioneered the Montauk fly-fishery as well as flats fishing for stripers from a poling skiff. And the author, John McMurray, is a common sight around Montauk in the Fall. Hopefully you'll meet them all this year.

Thanks all for your input. Now I have a little better understanding of flies in general and what I have.

Tom, thanks for the fly by fly.

Tim, you are correct the gentleman that sent me these was from MA. He fished for stripers among other species. Unfortunately he lost the big battle a couple years ago. Every time I look at the flies I feel they need to see water to sort of honor the guy. Glad to hear they'll fish.