rotary vice recommendations

Fredmo

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find where. I'm finally going to upgrade to a rotary vice and have been thinking about the Peak vise that sells everywhere for $149, but also looked at (only online, not in person) the Griffin Odyssey Spider vice. Reviews seemed pretty good for both, and price for the Griffin is $60 less. Anyone have any experience with these to make a recommendation of one over the other?

Got a birthday coming up the end of the month and am thinking about treating myself.

Fredmo,

I don't have one but I've tied on a Peak Vise twice and felt you would be hard pressed to do better. The Renzetti Traveler vise is the most popular rotary out there but you're looking at more buckaroos and I'm not sure it's any nicer than the US made Peak. If you want to save even more clams and don't mind synthetic resins vs machined steel and brass, then the Danvise is probably the best bang for the buck out there and Mike G can fill you in. I have never tied on a Griffin so can't comment on those.

I have the traveler, love it, but I would save a little extra coin and go for that peak. Never tied with it, but lots of great reviews, and really expensive vises don't produce better flies! No history with the Griffin either, again, save the coin and go for either, just make you have the proper jaw size to accommodate what you will be tying. That being said, one nice thing about the Traveler is that the same standard jaws can tie size 20 dries, and size 5/0 musky flies. Ryan

I like to go through Brad Miller at http://www.flybass.biz for my fly fishing needs.

He has tested a lot of equipment and will give you good honest answers are anything. He's not afraid to say that he doesn't like something.

Be sure to mention you're with the ISA if you talk with him.

This topic comes back so often that we should make it a sticky.

This time around, I am going to recommend a book you should buy before you even buy a vise. Listen to what Joe Cornwall said about it,"Anyone who owns, or plans to own, a rotary fly tying vise of any kind owes it to themselves to get this book. In fact, I believe this book is one which should be included in even a modest fly tying library."

The full review is here: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Rotary_Tying_Techniques.htm

RotaryTyingBookCover.jpg

Amazon and many other dealers carry the book.

The FFO shootout article is good as far as it goes toping out at $150. Just beyond that horizon there are rotary numbers like the Traveler and a wicked looking Thompson Barracuda which come in under $200. And so on up... The book will give you a better idea of what is out there. For instance, If you already have the 150, you might consider saving up a little more to get the Norvise System. The Beattys' wisdom will also confirm or challenge your reason for wanting to buy a true rotary vise in the first place.

I would say I lucked out picking the Danvise. For me the thing that puts it ahead of others is the way it is easily reconfigured for specialty applications like midges and clousers. So here is a link to my post on that:

http://illinoissmallmouthalliance.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8185

I have both of the vises you are considering, and I hate the peak and love the griffin. For me it's all about hook-holding ability, and the peak slips everytime. Keep in mind I mostly tie size 2 and above, but the griffin has zero problems holding hooks of all sizes. Not worth he jump to the peak unless you just need a heavy pedestal for portability. But that can be arranged for any vise. Screw peak.

I have both of the vises you are considering, and I hate the peak and love the griffin. For me it's all about hook-holding ability, and the peak slips everytime. Keep in mind I mostly tie size 2 and above, but the griffin has zero problems holding hooks of all sizes. Not worth he jump to the peak unless you just need a heavy pedestal for portability. But that can be arranged for any vise. Screw peak.

Interesting. Tim confirmswhat Joe Cornwall memtions in his review on FFO. "The manufacturer says the standard jaws are designed for size 2 to 20 and they are correct. Forcing the standard jaws to hold a 1/0 hook resulted in some vertical slippage under tension - no big bass bugs! Okay, so the guy who designed it told the truth and I tried to make it do more... can I be critical of that?" No, just have to respect the limits of the design.

On the other side, In the book, Al Beatty gives high marks to the Griffin jaws in gensral. This might push a Griffin product to the front of the list. I think the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose looks to be better put together than the Spider. It came in second in the FFO ratings. And it is made in the USA. It would get one around the slippage problem with hooks bigger than #2 that Peak admits it has.

PS no problems like that with the Danvise.

PS no problems like that with the Danvise.

I know it's not a rotary but a little heads up as I also had problems with my HMH Spartan holding those larger hooks that Tim speaks of. Other owners claimed no problem but mine wouldn't hold a larger bass hook to save its life. My Regal easily holds 3/0

I have had a Peak vise for quite a while. I like it but with the standard jaws it does slip with hooks larger than size 2 and it is not the best vise for tying deer hair bass bugs. I have used it to tie trout flies as small as size 16

I have not not bothered to replace the Peak Vise or get the jaws made for larger hooks because I don't tie that many flies larger than size 2.

I have had a Peak vise for quite a while. I like it but with the standard jaws it does slip with hooks larger than size 2 and it is not the best vise for tying deer hair bass bugs. I have used it to tie trout flies as small as size 16

I have not not bothered to replace the Peak Vise or get the jaws made for larger hooks because I don't tie that many flies larger than size 2.

Just a note. Peak sells larger saltwater jaws for $38.

Peak.

John,

you've been tying Muskie flies and such, do you have the larger jaws or the standard and have you experienced any slipping? Just curious because the two times I did use a Peak, I never tied on anything larger than a size 4 but I had no problems.

I use my Peak for my muskie flies. I cannot remember if I have the standard jaws or the larger, saltwater jaws. I will have to find out. But I will say that when I do tie my big muskie flies (5/0 hooks) with my peak there is not a problem. When the hook does slip it is because I don't have the jaws adjusted correctly. When I adjust the jaws correctly, it does a great job!

Just FYI, I believe they just came out with a lower prices Traveler. Still not as cheap as some, but just an option. Like I said earlier, I can tie size 20 up to 5/0 with no problems, and that includes really cranking on the hooks with GSP thread for spinning deerhair/bucktail heads. Ryan

I was starting so suffer from what John Barth referred to a "cosmopsis," too many choices to choose from and too many ideas. We braved the weather Friday night for dinner in E. Peoria at Johah's, the stopped by Bass Pro and I bought the Peak. Sure is sturdier than my basic vise. I also ordered the Beatty's book on the rotary vise, it is about 1/2 the list price when I went through Abebooks.

You have chosen wisely twice over.

I think you are really going to like the book. Since I originally bought a rotary vise to get the cam jaws an be able to turn the fly to see the other side, I was completely unaware of all the other benefits of the rotary feature. You'll see.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!

I was starting so suffer from what John Barth referred to a "cosmopsis," too many choices to choose from and too many ideas. We braved the weather Friday night for dinner in E. Peoria at Johah's, the stopped by Bass Pro and I bought the Peak. Sure is sturdier than my basic vise. I also ordered the Beatty's book on the rotary vise, it is about 1/2 the list price when I went through Abebooks.

It would have been blasphemy to have a chicken dinner at Jonah's. Not sure any was on the menu. I think my copy of the book is coming from U.K., still waiting on it.