Fish mask bugger

Ryan Kral

Here's another fly using the "Fish Mask" and "Living eyes". Its a cool concept, looks neat, but personally I think these masks are just one more step in the tying process that are totally unnecessary. It's more or less just something to hold eyes on, which I've never had any of my eyes fall off my flies before this came along. On a bugger size fly, I wouldn't use eyes anyways. Only flies Im putting eyes on are my EP flies and Musky flies, and only because its so easy to glue them to the body of the fly and done. I dont think it makes any difference in how many strikes you'll get. Matter of fact, on my recent north woods trip, 3 of our four strikes came on flies with big spun deer hair heads, no eyes. Get the fly in front of the right fish(hungry), retrieve to start that natural predatory follow or attack, and hope for the best. A 40"+ Musky doesn't care if your 8" fly has a couple .5" eyes on it, although I still use 'em because they do look pretty neat on that big fly! Just my opinion of course! Sorry, this was supposed to be a fly submission, a quick review on the "fish masks", and not start a debate on eyes on flies! Ryan

254xcue.jpg

It looks great. It would definitely catch more fisherman.All this talk about skulls reminds me that I have some heart shaped beads that would make great heads. I need to get around to using them.

I have been playing with the fish masks as well. I agree with a lot of the stuff you are saying about the eyes thing................if a fish wants to eat, they are going to eat the fly if it has eyes or not. The one thing I wonder about with the fish masks is the idea of weight. It seems it does give some favorable weight to get the fly down a bit farther...........not much more, but a little. Of course, I have noticed the extra weight when casting the fly.................

I agree about the weight Jonn. Especially with the large musky fly size mask. Mask weighs very little, but add the glue and eyes and you can tell, might be favorable though like you said, besides casting. You get winged by that thing on a double haul it might sting! Ryan

It looks great. It would definitely catch more fisherman.All this talk about skulls reminds me that I have some heart shaped beads that would make great heads. I need to get around to using them.

Mike, I'm sorry to hear that whatever project you had in mind with the heart-shaped beads didn't work out ;) As they say, "There are more fish in the sea."

Ryan, the fly looks awesome. What size is that one? I agree about the masks though--I think they're kinda silly. It makes a little sense on the giant flies where you'd otherwise waste 1/2 a $20 tube of CCG filling in the area around the eyes.

Mike, I'm sorry to hear that whatever project you had in mind with the heart-shaped beads didn't work out ;) As they say, "There are more fish in the sea."

Ryan, the fly looks awesome. What size is that one? I agree about the masks though--I think they're kinda silly. It makes a little a sense on the giant flies where you'd otherwise waste 1/2 a $20 tube of CCG filling in the area around the eyes.

Tim, this one is a Mustad size 2 hook, 1xlong. The mask is a size 5 fish mask. Like Jonn wrote earlier, I would use them again on a musky fly, but I would go with the size 10 instead of 15. Ryan

Ryan, the fly looks awesome. What size is that one? I agree about the masks though--I think they're kinda silly. It makes a little sense on the giant flies where you'd otherwise waste 1/2 a $20 tube of CCG filling in the area around the eyes.

Tim, as I write this the fly with a heart for the head is a WIP in my vise.

Since this thread is hopelessly hi-jacked I though I would add this.

senyofirstfly.jpg

Someone mentioned eyes. Though this bug is hopelessly 21st century with the articulated shank and synthetic fibers, the Junglecock eyes are a nice a nice throwback to the early 20th century. Reminds me of when flies were flies. Find the rest of the story at http://midcurrent.com/flies/the-flies-of-greg-senyo-part-ii/?utm_source=MidCurrent+Fly+Fishing+Email+Newsletter&utm_campaign=8f84c6f1c2-Newsletter_November_13_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8efbf3b958-8f84c6f1c2-18956357

Tim, as I write this the fly with a heart for the head is a WIP in my vise.

Since this thread is hopelessly hi-jacked I though I would add this.

senyofirstfly.jpg

Someone mentioned eyes. Though this bug is hopelessly 21st century with the articulated shank and synthetic fibers, the Junglecock eyes are a nice a nice throwback to the early 20th century. Reminds me of when flies were flies. Find the rest of the story at http://midcurrent.com/flies/the-flies-of-greg-senyo-part-ii/?utm_source=MidCurrent+Fly+Fishing+Email+Newsletter&utm_campaign=8f84c6f1c2-Newsletter_November_13_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8efbf3b958-8f84c6f1c2-18956357

Thats an interesting fly, and a big marketing scheme by Senyo, who makes every material in that fly! Just kidding. I do like those Junglecock eyes too. Ryan

Ironic. I quit using real Junglecock for eyes over 20 years ago because they cost a lot. Today one feather (nail) goes for $1 while you can buy printed (synthetic) Junglecock nails for 10 cents each. So in that hopelessly synthetic fly, why did he use natural Junglecock?