Semper Fleye

Hey guys. Heres my variation of the Popovich(hollow) style Semper Fleye. Pretty basic fly, which is what I like. Its just some saddle hackle feathers and bucktail for the tail, and then white and gray bucktail tied in hollow style up the shank. This fly is a hair over 4", but with bigger feathers you make this fly 6"-7" easy. Oh yeah, a little silver flash in their as well. I run it under water to help shape the fly, thats why the feathers aren't to fluffy, still a little wet. Ryan

255mgxt.jpg

I like it ! Could you better explain what "bucktail tied hollow style up the shank" ?

This video pretty much sums it up. Very easy way to build a lot of body, and push a lot of water with minimal weight. Also, less is definitely more with the bucktail. Ryan

This video pretty much sums it up. Very easy way to build a lot of body, and push a lot of water with minimal weight. Also, less is definitely more with the bucktail. Ryan

I like it. It probably does not push as much water as a bulkier solid bucktail tie. But if it pushes water, a fly also pushes air. This one does not look like it would b such a chore to cast.

I like it. It probably does not push as much water as a bulkier solid bucktail tie. But if it pushes water, a fly also pushes air. This one does not look like it would b such a chore to cast.

It actually pushes more water becuase it gives a bulkier profile. The beauty is it does this while drastically reducing weight.

This one isn't mine but it demonstrates my point:post-1902-0-79242700-1381760767_thumb.jpg

It actually pushes more water becuase it gives a bulkier profile. The beauty is it does this while drastically reducing weight.

This one isn't mine but it demonstrates my point:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's my dumb question. What does pushing water mean? What pushes water? How does one fly push water when another one does not?

By "push," I mean "displace," but not just in the static sense (at rest). In a dynamic analysis, the object not only takes up space but generates a pressure wave around its forward half as it moves. Think about sneaking up on fish in shallow still water in a kayak versus a canoe vs a deep-V walleye boat--when you are in the one that displaces more water, you are "louder" to the fish, and a larger pressure wake will arrive upon the fish long before you do. And, with the fly that has a wider/rounder profile and less bulk underneath, this pressure wave itself will be more dynamic (changing shape), giving off a broader range of sounds than a narrow and more stiffly-constructed fly. This is just thinking about sound and feel. As for looks, the hollow-tied fly is far more "breathable" underwater than traditional (a la Lefty Kreh) tied materials, appearing more realistic and requiring less work to impart action.