shabbona rearing ponds

Guest rich mc

the two rearing ponds will be finished being drained on Saturday morning first pond is on the left side of the main park road, we will meet there at 8 30 am. bring the kids, and boots rich mc

Guest rich mc

there were buckets of dragonfly nymphs I gave a bunch to doc mazzier with drift these are a photo of them. they are the exact color of the green tea worm chenille . they are just under an inch long and 3/8 wide the head is 1/. they have 3 sets of legs the rear ones were 1 1/2 inches from tip to tip and faced rearward. the front two sets faced forward and are 1 inch in the middle and 3/4 in the front legs. they seemed to lighten up after being in a white bucket for 3 days . rich thanks for posting the photo mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a nice pic of the post-emergent shell if ya want it. They get much rounder through the thorax just prior to hatch, I assume to make room for the wings.

As a gear chunker I've thought a very mini-beaver bait might work well. It'd need to be 1.5" or so and no one makes 'em that size, of course. Good thing about being a fly guy: tie one up, no molding or pouring required. It's not been lost on me. Maybe tenkara. The less accoutrements the better for me, personally.

And sorry I missed the fly clinic. I was looking forward to it, just had to get out of town that weekend.

I may just make a cane pole and start flipping. Beautiful, straight black bamboo covers the bottom of the yard in Dixie. I need a stealthy way to approach these clear streams. The problem is really the minnows. They run up and set off the alarm for the whole creek. If I walk downstream the silt busts me.

Selah. Flipping from the openings in trees I've found a few. Been bumped repeatedly by a 4+ whilst wading. Asshole.

-SB