Sit on top kayaks

Dick G

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this thread on SOT's.

I have thirty(30) years in paddling canoes & kayaks. SOT's can be rooled, EXCEPT, the Malibu Extreme,

I fell out if it trying to push the thing over. At 6ft. 225#. it should be easy.

If your worried about the weight look at a canoe loading system or roller on a rack. Look at a oversized cockpit sit-in kayak or a solo canoe(some stability sacrificed).

The Mad River Syngery is a kinda canoe/kayak hybred. It will roll

Look at the Malibu Mini-X for a basic SOT OR an Old Town Voyager 111 for a basic Sit-In for a low cost, weight angling unit.

If your looking for total stability try finding a catamaran or inflatable catraft. The 14 ft. Mailbu Extreme is about as rock stable as you find.

If your looking to travel fast then why fish? If your fishing mostly lakes and big rivers look longer than 12 ft. You tend to increase speed, stability capacity and tracking. You lose manuverability, lighter dry weight and utility performance.

If you like convenience, comfort, balanced performance try the Heritage, formerly LiquidLogic(same owners) Manta Ray.

Heritage, Native, Perception & Wilderness Systems to fit your SOT need.

DON"T rule out the Sit-In Large Cockpit Rec kayaks. Many are paddler and angler frendly.

They tend to be a little lighter to carry. Have big access cockpits, comfy seating and many outfitting possibilities.

I have 6(six) boats at present in my flotilla. Canoes include a Dagger Reflection 16' canoe, & Sawyer 13' fiberglass solo canoe. Kayaks are a Dagger Approach, Wilderness Systems Pungo Classic 12, Perception Acadia 12.5, & Liquidlogic Manta Ray 12. I have fished from ALL.

I had two additional Ocean Kayak SOT's, one OT Voyager, One OT Loon 111, one OT Lonn 138T, One Walden Scout, one WS Pungo and two canoes (OT and Coleman/Pelican) to start the season.

I bu. sell, and outfit number of paddlecraft each season for recreation boaters and anglers.

Do your research and test the boat when possible. Ask your paddling/angling friends. Look to a regular dealer over the Big BOX retailers if your looking for after purchase service.

Send me a PM if I can help.

Safe paddling & holiday wishes!

Heres a quick thought to pass around the ISA.

Dicks has offered Wilderness Systems Pamlico sit-in kayaks for as low as $200

I just found a WS Pamilico 120 on Ebay in Blommington for $250.

If your undecided or have a pal thats looking for a good start. Heres a low value way to break-in with a yak that should be easy to fish with.

If its not your cup of tea. You should be able to resell the yak easily.

Fuel for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ready to jump into the world of kayak ownership and have done some research. I would prefer to purchase one through Cabelas because that is where my pre-paid incentive credit cards works. They only have 1 that meets my needs which are pretty basic. I want a SOT that is short and manueverable for small streams. I may occasionally fish small lakes. I also want one that is lightweight and I'm not concerned too much about total weight capacity because I only weigh 150lbs and I plan on traveling light.

The 1 I have me eye on is a Emotion Charger Kayak .

i018241sn01a.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this kayak?