Put some legs on 'em Blockhead Popper

Guest Josh Glovinsky

Mike

You mean you're advocating putting legs on bassbugs in defiance of your guru LK's admonition?Sacrilege!

It seems that our moderators are willing to let taunting go on even though it mucks up a good thread like this one. Therefore, since the taunt is directed at me, I can only reply by taunting back.

Hey ronk!

Before you muck up a thread with taunting here, you should at least get your facts right. If you did that it would eliminate over half of what you post and save us the time of reading and correcting your errors.

In this post you are 100% in error. First, no one named Mike is advocating anything here. Josh is the one who said, "Put some legs on 'em." Second, if LK means Lefty Kreh, then you have that all wrong too. Lefty has written a lot about the value of rubber and silicon legs on poppers though there are some things he does not recommend. If you did some homework, you might know what they are. But these are just a few of the things you do not seem to know. They say, "It is never too late to learn."

It seems that our moderators are willing to let taunting go on even though it mucks up a good thread like this one. Therefore, since the taunt is directed at me, I can only reply by taunting back.

Hey ronk!

Before you muck up a thread with taunting here, you should at least get your facts right. If you did that it would eliminate over half of what you post and save us the time of reading and correcting your errors.

In this post you are 100% in error. First, no one named Mike is advocating anything here. Josh is the one who said, "Put some legs on 'em." Second, if LK means Lefty Kreh, then you have that all wrong too. Lefty has written a lot about the value of rubber and silicon legs on poppers though there are some things he does not recommend. If you did some homework, you might know what they are. But these are just a few of the things you do not seem to know. They say, "It is never too late to learn."

Hey MikeG

50% in error anyway,I apologize. Re the other 50% I direct you to page 163 of LK's "Advanced Flyfishing Techniques" wherein he states that" bassbugs should be sleek" for better casting.Rubber legs make a bug less sleek & harder to cast.They can also cause line twist.Nowher in his discussion of the design of bassbugs or in the accompanying bassbug drawings does he advocate rubber legs.As far as I know LK has always been a minimalist when it comes to bassbugsYou claim he advocates rubber legs.Chapter & verse and Ill apologize for the other 50%

Btw Personally if a bassbug comes with rubber legs I usually fish 'em if there's no line twist.The worst offender re line twist is a rubber legged sneaky pete.One thing you can do ts attach a small swivel twixt the butt & tippet to eliminate twist & lengthen the life of the leader too.

"50% in error anyway,I apologize. Re the other 50% I direct you to page 163 of LK's "Advanced Flyfishing Techniques" wherein he states that" bassbugs should be sleek" for better casting.Rubber legs make a bug less sleek & harder to cast.They can also cause line twist.Nowher in his discussion of the design of bassbugs or in the accompanying bassbug drawings does he advocate rubber..."

Ron,

Go to pages 54 and 55 of Fly Fishing for Bass by Lefty Kreh. There you will find the other 50 percent of your errors.

"50% in error anyway,I apologize. Re the other 50% I direct you to page 163 of LK's "Advanced Flyfishing Techniques" wherein he states that" bassbugs should be sleek" for better casting.Rubber legs make a bug less sleek & harder to cast.They can also cause line twist.Nowher in his discussion of the design of bassbugs or in the accompanying bassbug drawings does he advocate rubber..."

Ron,

Go to pages 54 and 55 of Fly Fishing for Bass by Lefty Kreh. There you will find the other 50 percent of your errors.

I don't have that book but I'll take your word for it and apologize.If in one work wherein he describes a well designed bassbug he emphasizes sleekness for castability even to the point of saying a bassbug should be only lightly dressed with tailfeathers & not making any reference to rubber legs which reduce castability & in another advocate their use it seems to me he's being inconsistent in the advice he's offering.Please provide his quotes.

While I'm ok with rubber legs on both surface & especially subsurface flies I wouldn't want any on a big blockhead.Their bulk as well as their tendency to dig into the surface as you start to backcast make them among the hardest to cast w/o making them still harder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...