River Kayak Fishing tip

Greg N

After a frustrating day out on a local river I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some fishing tips (lure selection) during this time of the year with the water so warm.

I threw buzzbaits, swim jigs, pig n jig, various crankbaits and only had one bite on a mimic minnow.

Fished the river three times in the past year out of my yak and I'm still yet to land a fish.

Sam said it when he asked what river. Location is a big key including where in the river. He is right about the necessity of TOW (time on water)to get to know your river. The old rule is 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water though I think it is more like 95-5. Here's some heresy. The yak may be your problem in that it let's you chase around too much looking for the perfect spot when all you need is a good spot. (Likewise, stick with a few lures instead of constantly changing as if there was a magic one you have to find by trying every bait you own.) Try going on foot walking the shore or wading so you can slow down and concentrate on working the water without the bother of the boat. Or get out of the yak to fish so you are not swept past promising spots before you can give them a decent shot. A lot of successful anglers consider a canoe or kayak as just a way to get from spot to spot-no magic in fishing from it when standing on the bank provides a better platform.

After a frustrating day out on a local river I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some fishing tips (lure selection) during this time of the year with the water so warm.

I threw buzzbaits, swim jigs, pig n jig, various crankbaits and only had one bite on a mimic minnow.

Fished the river three times in the past year out of my yak and I'm still yet to land a fish.

As "frustrating" as it may seem, sometimes that's just the way it is. I just came off my worst fishing weekend of the year thus far.

I have no idea how many times I stood alone in that river this past weekend saying out loud "I can't believe this!"

(probably not as many times as Jonn can say "Massive!")

The water levels finally got down to where I want them, took a vacation day from work Friday, and pretty much got blanked the entire weekend.

That's just the way it goes sometimes.

When I canoe down the river I'm looking for spots to pull off and wade. That might be part of the issue. Park and pick apart that 10% water.

Too many lures, as mentioned, might be another.

I am still looking for folks who would like to give me their take on their personal Desert Island Tacklebox. http://www.foxriverfishing.com/desert-island-tacklebox/

If you could only fish three lures, what would they be? The lures in my list were the lures I learned the Fox with.

And if anyone is interested in providing a quick write-up, either post it in a new thread somewhere off of this topic, or email it to me. hello@foxriverfishing.net

I still think it's mostly an issue of time. I fish the Fox 4-5 days a week and it's hard to find 'em some days. I can't imagine my chances if I'd only been out 3 times this year.

-SB

If I'm in a slump while paddling, I try to look for areas that the typical angler cannot reach or may overlook. The beauty of floating is the ease of mobility and how quickly you can check different types of areas. Extremes like very shallow, deep, fast or snag-laden are fun to ply.

Everyone fishes the textbook stuff.

Often times an area that doesn't "look good" just might hold an active, unpressured fish or two. Look for the overlooked.

On pressured waters, location and timing make all the difference. Try to get out on weekdays when there is less competition. If limited to weekends, go early and/or late. If you already go early, go earlier.

My summer river kit contains a Sammy, a Zara Spook, a buzzbait, a shallow-running crayfish crankbait and some 5" hula grubs and slider heads. I don't carry the kitchen sink and often times you'll find me with only one or two of the lures mentioned above.

Greg, I feel your pain. I too dont typically catch much when I hit the fox, one or two fish would be good for me. I can fully admit, I just don't put in the time for smallies, and the time on that river. I have just started in the last couple years trying to target smallies more, so I blame my lack of success on lack of time on the Fox and the species! You'll figure it out, hopefully before I do! Ryan

Don't Take advice from Terry...that's my advice :) Seriously though, all the suggestions above are very good. Fishing from a kayak on the river can be tough. Wading or bank fishing is your best bet. I love fishing from a kayak but unless the fish are real aggressive you may need to get out and work the "fishy" areas thoroughly. Learn to read the water. Dana is spot on. If they aren't hitting the lures you mentioned tie on a tube and work the bottom. Tubes produce year round and account for the majority of my fish. Keep reading the forum and try to get out on the water with ISA members who can teach you a lot. Oh, and don't listen to me. I don't know jack about fishing the Fox.