Footwear for wading

Bart Durham

Thanks for suggestions AC. My feet seem to be taking more of a pounding this year. I'm going through band aid wrappers like candy. I'll give the neoprene socks a try and see if they help.

Orvis boots generally have poor ankle support. Just bought and returned two different pairs on my third and should return it.

Stone bruising happens from slick inner sole causing the feet to slide around and bang things. Combo that with slippery rocks and you have feet with momentum.

Neoprene booties are integral to stockingfoot waders which except in very cold water are a better choice than bootfoot waders which have an integrated boot because they are easier to walk in & offer better support. For wet wading I wear the same wading boot as with my stockingfoot waders along with neoprene booties for comfort & to allow for the identical fit when wearing the waders.

AC

Orvis Ultralight Wading Boots come in a women"s size 6.I have a new pair which I really like. In addition to being lightweight,comfortable,& supportive unlike any others I've ever had they also slip on/off very easily.

I guess I've been lucky with my pair. They are in about their 5th season of fairly heavy wet wade use. No problem with the fit though the soles started coming off last year. That was fixed with some shoe goo. At any rate the neoprene socks are a good bet.

What I have also done in the past is to hit the shoe store's bargain shoes looking for hiking boots that drain fairly well, are mid high to the ankle, have a softer sole for gripping rocks, have a removable inner sole, and have a sole that has been sewn on instead of just glued. I never spent more than $15 and they usually give you a season or two of wear. A pair that fits you well along with neoprenes may serve you well. Shoes with sewn on soles are getting hard to find these days.