Kayaks

Terry Dodge

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there is and I would like to thank everyone for their input.

What's done is done. I bought a Coosa. I was bouncing back and forth from the Coosa and The WS Ride-115.

I liked both yaks and was kind of leaning towards the WS Ride-115 and thought I was going to go with that so I could save a couple hundred.

Being that this is what I consider to be a large purchase, I informed my wife that I would be getting the Ride. She was a bit surprised. She has listened

to me talk about getting a Coosa for a couple years. We stopped by Rutabaga's in Madison and I showed her both kayaks.

She liked Jackson's color options better than what WS offered. The Coosa was ordered in Blackwidow. Sorry Eric.

It should be here by the end of March.

Being such a large purchase I gave her the power of color choice.

I was just at Paddle and Trail in Aurora and was commenting on how cool Jacksons color sheme was, congrats and enjoy.

May I ask a dumb question,

do many here fly fish from their kayak? Now I don't mean paddling to your spot, getting out of the kayak and whipping away but actually staying in your craft. I would think I could pull it off more easily with my spinning gear but just curious? Thanks

Thats all I use in both my kayaks, but I fish still water more than rivers. I have anchor systems and they are invaluable on lakes, but on rivers I found myself parking and wading.

I rig two fly rods, one with a floater and a popper, the other with an intermediate line and a deeper fly. Fyi I keep my STRIPPING BASKET at my feet, stepping on line SUCKS :angry:

Congrats, you wont regret the purchase. And to Rob, I only fly fish, rivers and lakes. I very rarely get out. On the rivers I will anchor, or more commonly, I will just position myself to drift past my intended area, casting all the way, and then repositioning to go through as many times as I would like. The local rivers I fish, mainly the Fox and Dupage, are very easy to paddle upstream, so I don't mind just paddling to set up another drift. I just strip my line right between my legs on the floor of the Coosa, never have an issue with tangling. Ryan

:blink: Ask a question on a fishing forum, you'll get "opinions". :blink:

My own were formed with hundreds of hours of trial and error reported on by myself and the friends I fish with. My group of fishermen went through this buying equation around 2005-2008, so many of the points I make have been well tested and discussed by us. I made bad purchases intially and find purchasing a kayak for river fishing to be a more complicated issue than the first glances often reveal. It has nothing to do with Terry's fine purchase and more to do with the others who've read the thread and might think the entry point is 800$+.

would someone check these out fer chrissakes : http://www.nucanoe.com/models/

had a Wis. DNR guy turn me on to these. Checked 'em out at the Schaumburg show and for me I prefer the design and features over the "other" popular brands.

A 10 footer comes out in April 59 lbs...... around a grand. I think I found my next boat.

Thats all I use in both my kayaks, but I fish still water more than rivers. I have anchor systems and they are invaluable on lakes, but on rivers I found myself parking and wading.

I rig two fly rods, one with a floater and a popper, the other with an intermediate line and a deeper fly. Fyi I keep my STRIPPING BASKET at my feet, stepping on line SUCKS :angry:

So,you're standing in the yak? If you kept your feet planted while casting you wouldn't repeatedly step on the line.Over the 3 days of steelheading last Nov. I spent 24 hrs standing up casting. Didn't catch a steelhead. Didn't step on my line either

It happens in a boat Ron, I go barefoot when I can so I can feel the line and not stand on it. Yes, I stand probably ninty percent of the time when I am fishing lakes.

So,you're standing in the yak? If you kept your feet planted while casting you wouldn't repeatedly step on the line.Over the 3 days of steelheading last Nov. I spent 24 hrs standing up casting. Didn't catch a steelhead. Didn't step on my line either

It happens in a boat Ron, I go barefoot when I can so I can feel the line and not stand on it. Yes, I stand probably ninty percent of the time when I am fishing lakes.

My point is with a little care it won't happen often enuf to be a problem requiring either a basket or barefooting.For smaller stillwater I like a floatube. it's almost as comfortable as a Lazy Boy, has a stripping apron for line management,& even in a breeze leaves your hands free to cast or troll.No need to constantly reach for an oar or anchor rope.

Ron,

A friend asked me to pass this on.

Dear Ron,

I know how you feel. On our last trip to the Bahamas, we didn’t catch a single Steelhead even though we fished hard all week. All’s we caught were skinny Carp like this.

bonefish2.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0ZVUtxDeMzGxNDSQLQig4yt_PEEwv-fNLWvivXowt2lV3MNwETA

I think I know what your problem is. You are so worried about stepping on your line that you can’t concentrate on casting and working your fly right. A stripping basket like the one Bart made me would really help you concentrate. Here’s a picture of mine.

homerfish4.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/MikeG742/Mike%202012/homerfish4.jpg

They are real easy to use.

10-12 Good buddy!

Homer

• 1 month later...