I need new gear...and a better fishing line!

jim bielecki

"A real mans line"....

HA

I agree with the preference comment.

A $100,000 Mercedes will get you to Portillos just as an old beater will.

No one would argue that the old beater is a better car using a standard evaluation of what constitutes a quality car.

The reason I mentioned the line thing was that it was brought up that the "majority" of guys posting used heavier line. That was sort of my point. If you are having a discussion with ten smallie fishermen who have been stream fishing a long time and the majority use X kind of equiptment or X kind of line, you'd have to ask yourself why are all these guys using that? Do they know something I don't or do I know a lot more than all of them?

I'll name three guys who have 20 to 30 years experience fishing HARDCORE for stream smallies. Matt Mullady, Norm Minas and Jonn Graham. Jonn fishes nearly ten months a year and through Dec and jan. A few years ago, Norm Minas had 6 smallies over 20" in a season. None of these guys would fish with 6lb. I know for a fact that Matt Mullady fished 10lb for years and thought 8 was mariginal and hated guys he guided using 6. He has spent 150 to 200 days per year on the Kank fishing for smallmouth.

These are really hard core guys who would do anything they could to improve their abilities to catch and land smallmouth. So..... there are always exceptions but I choose to learn from guys who I believe really know their stuff.

Try the Chocolate cake from Portillos.

"A real mans line"....

The reason I mentioned the line thing was that it was brought up that the "majority" of guys posting used heavier line. That was sort of my point. If you are having a discussion with ten smallie fishermen who have been stream fishing a long time and the majority use X kind of equiptment or X kind of line, you'd have to ask yourself why are all these guys using that? Do they know something I don't or do I know a lot more than all of them?

I'll name three guys who have 20 to 30 years experience fishing HARDCORE for stream smallies. Matt Mullady, Norm Minas and Jonn Graham. Jonn fishes nearly ten months a year and through Dec and jan. A few years ago, Norm Minas had 6 smallies over 20" in a season. None of these guys would fish with 6lb. I know for a fact that Matt Mullady fished 10lb for years and thought 8 was mariginal and hated guys he guided using 6. He has spent 150 to 200 days per year on the Kank fishing for smallmouth.

These are really hard core guys who would do anything they could to improve their abilities to catch and land smallmouth. So..... there are always exceptions but I choose to learn from guys who I believe really know their stuff.

Try the Chocolate cake from Portillos.

They do have the best chocolate cake!

I would say I use the 6 lb test because I've never hooked into a trophy smallmouth. I fish the fox and the Dup...that's it...most fish are 14 inches or smaller....usually smaller. Walleyes...if you're lucky to get one it'll be less than legal. As for rocks...the fox has snags but as long as I bump the bottom I'm fine...if I get a snag...I pull my line...sling shot it and the current breaks it free. If I hook into a fish, I play it fairly quickly. The Fox doesn't really have a fast flow anyway. I've caught 15 lb carp at the fox, worry free.

I've also done some research on fishing line...the line breaks at very high tests...line manufacturers are not regulated by any government agency...therefore, many of them will put line that tests 10, 12, or even 14 into a 6 or 8 lb test box.

In addition, physics prooves the rod should do all the work anyway...

In physics, there's a simple demonstration that shows the fishing rod should do all the work to prevent the line from snapping:

At the end of a dowel rod, tie on the line that you're going to use. At the other end you tie on a weight, something equivalent to the estimated pull you think the line can handle. Stabilize one end of the dowel on a table, and hanging the longer end of the dowel over the edge of the table. Allow the weight to hang. You will notice that the line will probalby hold the weight. Now pick up the weight a few inches and drop it...if it holds...pick up the weight a few more inches and drop it again. You will find that the weight will eventually break the line. Now take the same set up, but use something that has "give" to it. Instead of a dowel, you can use a thin plastic rod the same length of the dowel. For our purposes you can even use the tip of the last fishing rod you had that broke...but it has to be the same length of the dowel. Conduct the demonstration again...you will find that because of the flex that the rod has you will be able to hold the weight higher and drop it without the line breaking.

I too am serious when it comes to fishing which is why I change my line often. If I feel I was extra tough on my line on a particular day I will either peel off 40 yards of it or replace it.

I would say I'm confident using 6lb line...but I'm not ignorant with what I expect from it. I know what I can and can't do with it. In cover with weeds and timber...No way would I go with 6 lb!

I learn from everyone in the club so I appreciate all the feedback I receive...

Thanks to all the replies I'm convinced of the gear that should be used on the Kank...I plan to fish there more this year so the info is extremely helpful. I'm planning on what I need now because once the season is in full swing I don't want to be messing with gear.

Good luck everyone!!!

and thanks again! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

St Croix's website offers a "rod selection" section, that is very helpful.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rodselector/def...sp?section=none

I'd suggest you visit your local tackle dealer---they may have a knowledgeable employee, who can help.

Talk with someone that truely fishes vs just talking about fishing.

You can get a good starter rod & reel combo---Shimano or Abu-Garcia, starting at about $50.

GAT's offers FREE mono line with a rod and reel purchase.

Check the GAT Guns ad in the Outdoor Notebook.

Buy the best you can afford. If you have a limited budget, tell the salesperson what you can afford to spend.

Some may have some specials, or make up a suitable combo to fit your needs.