Shimano Symetre vs. Quantum Kinetic PTi spinning reels

SmallieJonze

These reels look great and seem like they work great in the store, but how well do they perform after a couple years?

That's the burning question.

These reels are among a few in my price range that I'm interested in.

A Pfleuger President is up for consideration too.

I currently have an ABU Garcia 502ALB which is real nice, but I would like to get something a bit smoother and more balanced for a similar price.

I was wondering if any of you have used these reels and what your thoughts are after using them for a while.

My budget allows me one (don't tell the wife that though... she should be glad I'm not buying a Steez).

Thanks,

John

have a Pfleeuggeerr spinner in my bunch o-reels i think it is 2 years old and my buddy has had his president since it came out and put it throught some good test and has not had it fall yet i think the pfleuger is well worth the price and performance had mine take a dunk in the fox and still running strong rember the fish do not know how much you spent on your reel or the name of it what ever you feel works for you :P:P

I have 3 Quantum reels that I've been using for a few years and all of them perform like the day they were new.

The latest version of the reels have a little flaw that drives people nuts. There is a connector between the bail wire and the line roller that has a little groove where thin lines tend to get caught. My reels are a generation older and don't have the same part. I can't say for sure that all the Quantums have it I know the Energy model does. Look at one up close and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I thought that if I had a $500.00 Brand X reel on a $300.00 Brand X rod, I would magically catch fish like a pro..........

.......At least that's what the ads in the magazines and t.v. shows tell me ;) .

The Pflueger President is the best reel I've ever owned.

Just be sure to balance it with the right rod. Mine goes well with many heavy Falcon rods, and a Pflueger.

I believe mine is the 6730 model.

The bail trips very smoothly.

Would trade all of my reels for this brand in a heartbeat.

That is a tough choice. I have had bad luck with Shimano, except the Sahara's. My Stratics are junk! I used a borrowed Symetre and didn't find any negative factors. Can't say how they are day after day.

The Quantum Catalyst PTi would be my choice over the Kinetic PTi. I found the Kinetic less than smooth in performance and handling.

I would suggest looking at the Okuma Alumina VS your title choices. I think you find a good alternative.

Good luck!

I use a Symetre(spelling) and haven't had any trouble with it. It is common to hear ISA guys say that Shimano products do not function well after getting wet. I can't say I have had that problem.

Gregg

I went over to GAT guns today and felt out some reels. Had the Energy, Catalyst, Sahara, Symetre, Stradic (junk?...really??) a Daiwa SS tournament, and that Okuma Alumina out for a look. Didn't see an President. Still curious about those...

Soooooo...I picked out a nice St. Croix Premier 6' ML rod and put each of the reels on. That Stradic was sweet! All the Shimano's and Quantum's were great, but I ended up with the Okuma Alumina AL20. It just felt right on that particular rod...and the price was right at $65.00. If I had tons of cash I would have decided differently....possibly the Stradic or Catalyst.

Of course, I also went home with the rod. The rod purchase affected my reel budget. But that's o.k. ;)

Ken Darga helped me out. Some of you know him. That guy knows a thing or two about a thing or two B) .

He could have easily pushed me to buy the more expensive reel, too but...no. He took the time to help me find what was right for me, my pocketbook, and what balanced out the rod. Spooled me up with some mean green at no extra charge and gave me a rod cover too. Great guy!

I'm beginning to really like that place.

Well, I feel I made a good choice so far. We'll see after a year or so...

Thanks for all your input and suggestions, everyone.

The Quantum Catalyst PTi would be my choice over the Kinetic PTi. I found the Kinetic less than smooth in performance and handling.

I have fished a Catalyst and a Kinetic side by side for two years and without looking I couldnt tell you which one I was fishing with.

They both have served me well.

John...buddy...you're up at 2:00 a.m. contemplating spinning reels!?! And my wife thinks I'M obsessed.

I wake up in the middle of the night fighting the fish of my life at least twice a week.....

I have my own room now. :lol: